Talk

Advanced search

If you are a teacher and you HE your kids what Maths Syllabus........

(8 Posts)
Yurtgirl Mon 29-Jun-09 23:13:47

would you reccomend?

Tis late now so I dont expect anyone will see this until tommorrow but.......

I have looked at quite a few online and read most of the threads on here asking for reccomendations - I cant make up my mind though

They all seem so similar and yet different!
Maths teaching has changed quite a lot in the UK even in the last 15 years (I trained to be a teacher 15 years ago.....)

I was keen on miquon - until I saw a sample worksheet and was seriously underwhelmed by it

Im hoping to find an all inclusive curriculum that covers everything - on paper, worksheets, books etc
With "manipulatives"

ie I dont want an online bit iswim - we will do enrichment stuff online but I dont want that to be part of the main syllabus we use

TIA

Yurtgirl Mon 29-Jun-09 23:16:22

Hopefully not hideously expensive either!
I suspect this may be unreasonable of me though - I will pay whatever if it is really really good

DS is 7 but capable of maths stuff way the norm for his age (say 10yo)

DD slow to pick things up 5yo - ie has just mastered counting 1 2 3 4 5!

Yurtgirl Mon 29-Jun-09 23:16:55

Preferably a UK publication too..........

I am asking for the moon I know

Goblinchild Mon 29-Jun-09 23:23:39

The problem is that we now draw from a number of schemes to build up an overall, interesting and effective approach, So there isn't a single scheme to recommend. Have you looked at the Numeracy strategy online? That gives you examples of approaches and expectations.
So I could type you a list of all the books that I use to plan one week's lessons, but it would go on for a long time and wouldn't include all of the out of the box activities I do as well.
Sorry not to be more helpful.

Yurtgirl Mon 29-Jun-09 23:28:17

Several schemes would be ok though - I would also supplement as you say

We also have lots of maths games - tangrams, dominoes etc

Im a bit hmm at planning a weeks lessons tbh
For maths Im hoping to get the stuff out and work through it with them as it is

Other subjects yes Im more about planning but maths I would prefer to get out of a box tbh blush

Can you tell we havent started HE yet

lilyfire Mon 29-Jun-09 23:31:19

Have you looked at MEP maths from CIMT (Plymouth Uni)? You can download it all from their website or buy the workbooks, to save printing them out and they have nice posters and some numberlines etc. We have it but haven't used it much because I'm not convinced my 5yo needs a curriculum right now, but when we have done a couple of lessons he's enjoyed them mostly(although not so much the workbooks). Anyway I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.

Yurtgirl Tue 30-Jun-09 17:57:59

I havent heard of that one before thankyou lilyfire

The quest for maths resources feels like a reasearch project!

musicposy Tue 30-Jun-09 19:29:47

OK, here is what we use - and it's a mish-mash, rather than one particular scheme.

Bond No Nonsense Maths I love and so does my daughter. Does what it says on the tin. So clear and easy that I also use it for a couple of 5 and 7 year olds I tutor. Workbooks with added worksheets you can print off. Link here to give you an idea -it's in ages 5 -11.

We also use CGP maths books - they're quite good too, but they've changed the format recently (into levels rather than year groups). Are used from 5 -18 - we've just bought the GCSE book for my eldest. Quite good if you want a nice thick workbook with plenty of reinforcement.

Next year we are going on to AE tuition maths books. Billed as for 9 -12 year olds, I'd say 9 is only if you have a very able 9 year old. My nearly 10 year old is starting these in September because we need secondary curriculum without secondary language and expectations, if that makes sense. They go from level 3 to level 6. I liked the clear easy format. Link here.

For secondary, we have used the WHSmith Revise Maths series for my elder daughter (age 13). They do this series from 5 -14, so it might be worth a look. They do a "Challenge Maths" set, too, specifically aimed at stretching bright children. My younger daughter did the 8-9 book and didn't like it much - there was so much on each page. However, it undoubtedly did her maths good!

Hope this is of some help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now