Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

School

(13 Posts)
athomeagain Sun 28-Jun-09 22:18:53

Hi we had decided we think to home ed our daughter who has severe food allergies.we went to the school parent evening as she has been asking to go to school and we want to see all sides,. When we were there we went to speak to the teacher and the school nurse (her First) But when we went tot the teacher to ask about craft activities etc we were just told to speak to the school nurse we are really disturb by this as it is the teacher not the visiting school nurse that she will be in the care of every duty.

MrsJamesMartin Sun 28-Jun-09 22:21:31

Not really sure what your question is?

piscesmoon Mon 29-Jun-09 07:36:45

I think there was just a general misunderstanding. If you want to send her I would make an appointment, go on a normal, working school day, then have a list of questions and work through them with the Head.

athomeagain Mon 29-Jun-09 10:51:27

We just seem to be getting passed around,when we spoke to the head she said it will all be ok without even asking what she was allergic to and told us to speak to the teacher.

2kidzandi Mon 29-Jun-09 10:52:16

Agree with Piscesmoon. Give them the benefit of the doubt and make an appointment with the head. You can then express your special concerns and stress what you consider the most vital parts of your daughters education. Then you can ask Head to explain how the school will meet your expectations and provide support for your daughter if necessary.

Kayteee Mon 29-Jun-09 13:53:18

Blimey, I agree with Piscesmoon for the second time!! wink

seeker Mon 29-Jun-09 14:00:52

I would get a letter from her consultant to give the school - that might concentrate their minds.

musicposy Tue 30-Jun-09 20:47:19

Our eldest has a severe peanut allergy and when she was at primary school it did take us some while to get through to them just how serious it was. We did have some mishaps - a child tried to feed her a peanut butter sandwich as a joke one lunchtime and the head dismissed it as kids messing around.

My husband took in a letter from the hospital saying it would take less than a quarter of a nut to kill our daughter. That focussed her mind pretty sharpish and much better measures were put in place.

I agree that you need to go to the head. Spell it out in words of one syllable. Then ask to see a written action plan before she starts.

These things can be coped with in school but you have to get staff to take them seriously. Don't take any chances with your child's safety, that's more important than anything.

athomeagain Thu 02-Jul-09 11:04:46

sorry i seemed to have confused a few people our 4 year old is anaphylactic to peanuts ,other nuts ,eggs and sesame.She also has hayfever and is allergic to most sun creams.And also reacts to shea butter and some plastics.

We have been home educating for lots of reasons and were planning on carrying on with this but we did get a place at a good local school due to feeling we ought to and to leave our options open.

Now through being asked by lots of people when she is starting school ( for the past two years ) she looks and acts very grown up she has been asking if she can go so we are going through the motions as we do not want to make the wrong choice for her.

So as i said we went to the parents evening saw the school nurse and made an appointment
for a further meeting,spoke to the head who seemed unable to tell us where she would sit for pack lunch apart from in the hall.

we then went to see the teacher who when we said we have some questions as are DD has sevre allergies just said see the nurse.

Then yesterday when we took her for story time luckily we took her into the classroom instead of leaving her at the door as we were being urged to do as there was a table of playdough,we managed to get the TAs attention to say she must not play with it as it had noy not been checked .1stly some playdough is not safe for her and 2ndly the teacher still had not asked what she was allergic to.

2kidzandi Thu 02-Jul-09 15:35:43

Oh, understand more now. But I still think if you really have made up your mind to try the school route, that although you've tried already, you ought to persist and set up a joint meeting with the Head and prospective class teacher. In fact Seeker made a good suggestion about getting a consultant/doctors letter and I think you should try that since at the moment it seems they really do not realise exactly how serious the consequences of your DDs condition is.

Making them realise that it is extremely dangerous to let her near a substance that she's allergic to will require a very serious (and possibly slightly threatening -if-she-ends-up-seriously-ill-there-will-be-consequences)conversation. Schools get lots of parents insisting their children have serious allergies that are in fact mild, so they may not have taken it seriously hence the lack of liasion between Head, teacher,and nurse)

But if you simply don't think it's good enough, and don't feel reassured that the environment will be safe, perhaps try a different school or delay it till later?

athomeagain Thu 02-Jul-09 20:31:20

Yes we will be setting up another meeting Thanks for all of your ideas,we are fairly shy people but we do need to get tough with this.

MIAonline Thu 02-Jul-09 20:37:06

If you find it difficult face to face, send a (nice) letter, outlining the allergies, what you need to happen, what would be your best scenario for lunches, any possible problems you have anticipated and requesting a meeting ASAP with the either, senco, nurse and/or class teacher.

I am surprised the senco hasn't met with you already as it usually comes under their remit or that the teacher was happy to have a induction visit without knowing about your DC's allergies.

IMO, putting it in a letter, that goes on file can 'clarify' things in a busy school wink

milou2 Fri 03-Jul-09 09:47:04

I think there is an amount of 'I want to think the school is sufficiently on the ball and responsive' when the evidence is now stacking up that they are not naturally able to provide a consistent and reliable level of care.

Please look at other schools. Remember that you are the ones in the driving seat and are responsible for your child's carers. You must have a really good level of faith in them.

Even with the best situation there might be the odd slip, so start from that best situation.

A 4 year old is different from a 14 year old who might be much more able to ignore a teacher's inadvertent incorrect instruction on health grounds. A 4 year old needs very responsible care.

Sorry to be so firm, but there is a lot of pressure on tiny children to be responsible for telling adults about their needs and requirements when we all know that adults can be past masters at ignoring and putting down children who try to speak up and get their attention.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now