Talk

Advanced search

Do any of you utilise a childminder as well?

(9 Posts)
sorky Wed 17-Jun-09 15:15:16

I have a HE friend who is going to childmind due to the whole single-parent-benefits-stopped-aged-seven-malarkey.

I was wondering if any of you used a childminder to have time to yourself or with smaller children.

If I use her it would be for my eldest 2 (7 & 5), maybe for a whole afternoon once a week, to give me some time to focus on the younger 2 children (2 & 4mo).

She HE's autonomously her 2 kids and they're a lovely family
I know it's up to me, but I'm wondering if it's a common practice or if you'll all don your judgey-pants!?

sorky Wed 17-Jun-09 17:02:39

you're not all off getting those pants on are you?

AMumInScotland Wed 17-Jun-09 17:07:53

I don't see why anyone would get judgy about it - I think it's common enough for HE children to be off with other adults getting different experiences and "input". The fact that you're paying someone for their time, rather then taking turn about or whatever doesn't really make any difference to the benefits your children can get from the arrangement.

So, no judgey-pants here grin

ommmward Wed 17-Jun-09 17:37:45

*looks at drawer full of judgey pants

rejects as inappropriate*

No judgeyness here at all. If you're needing more time alone/ with other children and she needs money, well that sounds a totally fantastic arrangement to me!

we've recently "hired" a local teen to come and just be around to play with some small people here on a weekend morning sometimes. What will I do with the time? focus on other small people, or maybe - gasp - read a book or watch a movie. Since we no longer live in extended families, we have to create our own support networks.

siblingrivalry Wed 17-Jun-09 17:39:14

I'm with ommmward, it sounds fantastic. I'm actually a bit envywink

aGalChangedHerName Wed 17-Jun-09 17:41:42

I am a CM and i don't know how i'd have time to HE with all the mindees here too tbh.

I don't HE btw so know nothing about it blush

sorky Wed 17-Jun-09 17:59:20

I think we'll give it try

anastaisia Wed 17-Jun-09 21:01:06

I have a part time nanny so no judging here. Especially as I have her for 20 hours ON TOP of the time my DD is with her dad. (although actually, she only does the full 20 very rarely)

julienoshoes Wed 17-Jun-09 22:24:00

Somewhere there is a list of Home Ed friendly childminders-so there is a market for this.

I know the MN whose lad is doing the Doctorate in Medical research now, used to child mind as a way of earning a living around home education.

I'd say Go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now