Advanced search

It says on the Beeb we will have to register

(88 Posts)
sarah293 Thu 11-Jun-09 15:08:51

Message withdrawn

AMumInScotland Thu 11-Jun-09 15:14:49

Yep.
And renew the registration every year.
And show that your child has achieved the progress you planned for that year.

sarah293 Thu 11-Jun-09 15:16:35

Message withdrawn

juuule Thu 11-Jun-09 15:17:27

And registration could be refused.

Recommendation 24
That the DCSF make such change as is necessary to the legislative framework to enable local
authorities to refuse registration on safeguarding grounds. In addition local authorities should have
the right to revoke registration should safeguarding concerns become apparent.

bigTillyMint Thu 11-Jun-09 15:20:45

It's annoying for all you proper H Eders, but it's to try to avoid people abusing the right to HE and abusing their children.

I'm sure your DC are all making good progress, so you've got nothing to worry about even though it's a faff.

Mutt Thu 11-Jun-09 15:22:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AMumInScotland Thu 11-Jun-09 15:30:02

They will have the right to demand access to our homes. And the right to demand to speak to the child.

Which may not seem like a terrible idea, but when the child has been traumatised by school and bullied by the LEA and teachers, having another person in authority demand to speak to them without the parents present is a long way from ideal.

juuule Thu 11-Jun-09 15:31:14

The right to speak to the child without the parent present.

poopscoop Thu 11-Jun-09 15:31:21

Riven - is your DS at home again?

juuule Thu 11-Jun-09 15:32:03

Ooops you'd already put that.

poopscoop Thu 11-Jun-09 15:32:55

you are kidding about the right to speak to the child WITHOUT parent present?

must go and look, and will also go on the EO forum and see what they are saying there.

Jaquelinehyde Thu 11-Jun-09 15:36:11

Cant see much wrong with it myself.

They have the right to speak with children in school without a teacher present, so talking to the child without the parent/teacher present just makes sense surely?

poopscoop Thu 11-Jun-09 15:37:18

If you are EO members then there is copious amounts of discussions going on in their forum, so get over there.

Mutt Thu 11-Jun-09 16:32:00

Mutt Thu 11-Jun-09 16:33:03

sarah293 Thu 11-Jun-09 16:38:48

Message withdrawn

siblingrivalry Thu 11-Jun-09 16:44:53

I have to say, I'm not happy at all. My dd has SN and I have suffered from depression in the past - 2 of the indicators that we may come under scrutiny.
We have nothing to hide, but there is no way I am going to be able to guarantee that she learns everything I have predicted she wil in a 12 month period. Because of her issues, I find myself continually re-evaluating my plans.

Also, she is really anxious and distrustful of authority, after a disastrous dx process, and she will be horrified if she has to be left alone with a LA official.

I wish I had belief in the fact that, with nothing to hide, most HEdders will be fine. Personal experience has taught me that it's a lottery and depends on where you live and who you deal with.

ommmward Thu 11-Jun-09 16:48:59

and when some complete stranger comes into your home waving a slip of paper which they say entitles them to talk to your child unsupervised, asking God knows what leading questions and drawing God knows what conclusions about your private family life from the answers that'll be ok too, right? right? if it saves even one child, right?

And what the fuck is "good progress"? As soon as someone from the outside decides they have a fucking clue what "good progress" for my child would be, what with not actually knowing my child's ability, aptitude, SEN or current passions, then they have enormous and unmerited power over our daily actions.

ommmward Thu 11-Jun-09 16:49:53

every one of us has to refuse this unsupervised access demand. It's an abomination.

anastaisia Thu 11-Jun-09 16:50:11

I just don't understand how people don't get it.

Education and safeguarding are two completely separate legal situations. If there are worries about abuse then there is already action which can be taken.

If there is concern about education then there is already action which can be taken.

If there is not enough funding to take the appropriate action, then wasting money on new legislation and its implementation will NOT save children from abuse.

In fact I'd go so far as to suggest that MORE children will probably slip through the net as the case-loads for LA staff increases and the media buzz about the fantastic new plans for safeguarding children fades away and budget cuts are made.

lou33 Thu 11-Jun-09 16:51:08

is this different from the home ed man who came to evaluate me and dd2 the other day?

he said he had no need to see us for another year

sarah293 Thu 11-Jun-09 16:51:09

Message withdrawn

Mutt Thu 11-Jun-09 16:53:55

siblingrivalry Thu 11-Jun-09 16:57:16

It infuriates me, Riven. I have just been to hell and back with a situation at CAMHS which was instigated by a nurse who is very anti-HE.

Her lack of knowledge was woeful, yet she saw fit to decide that my child was disadvantaged because she wasn't in schoolangry

I have therefore seen first hand how the opinion if one jobsworth can start off a scary chain of events.
Luckily, I kicked up so much fuss that she ended up with egg on her face!

anastaisia Thu 11-Jun-09 16:57:45

yes lou, it is different because the other day you had the choice about whether you wanted to accept that visit or not. If you or your DD had been unhappy about it you could have choosen to decline it.

If these recommendations go through then there will be no choice if you want to HE - no matter if your child has special needs, selective mutism, a fear of strangers/officials. To HE you would have to go through with the visit anyway, and the outcome begins to depend on the SUBJECTIVE view of the person visiting you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now