Talk

Advanced search

Handing in my HE badge....

(7 Posts)
AMumInScotland Fri 29-May-09 09:16:19

...or maybe hanging up my spurs, but that's not a very nice analogy, is it? grin

We've had the paperwork through from the school, and DS has a confirmed place for the autumn to go there to do his Highers.

We looked at other options, but the high school just out of catchment seems nice, and gets good results, and he already knows some of the people who'll be in his year, so we reckon this is the best for his next stage of education.

Thanks to all on here for telling me about the joys of home ed. I'll still shove in my tuppenceworth on threads!

I wonder if you still have to sew name-tags onto their uniform when they're 16?

2kidzandi Fri 29-May-09 12:01:05

Thanks AMIS for all your great advice to a newbie like myself when I was nervously starting out on our HE journey and pondering whether or not to remove other DS from school. You helped me loads. I'm sure your DS will get along fine with the next stage of his education and will enjoy it. Hope you do keep putting in your tuppenceworth - it's worth much more than a tuppence!

I'm not sure about the name tags....smile

julienoshoes Fri 29-May-09 14:41:10

Yes. I am in the same place MIS.
Youngest has been accepted to do a National BTEC in Music at at least two colleges-two more have said yes depending on interviews. So she has decided that is the path she is going to follow rather than continuing with the OU and HE.

I never thought she would be going to college at 16-when you consider how severely dyslexic she was and the problems she has overcome to get here.

But I am thrilled for her. Really really chuffed
grin

But feels funny to know the last one of our offspring will have passed her compulsory education age in about three weeks time.

AMumInScotland Fri 29-May-09 19:14:41

It's great that your dd's got a number of good offers to choose from - it must really make you and her feel that she's done more than "manage" to get an education, but that she's really thrived on it, which says a lot for both of you.

But yes it's odd when you get to that stage, not quite having them leave the nest, but taking their own steps out into a wider world. No-one tells you about that when you get pg grin

milou2 Fri 29-May-09 22:05:35

Name tapes: if you don't want the phone, calculator, coat to go missing then name them. I buy items like socks by the dozen anyway? Depends whether he does sport, if he does then label all sports kit and clothing you want back! Get his favourite brand of biro or pen by the pack too, so it's always the same type for him to borrow back from his neighbour.

Good luck and have fun with the new experience.

Kayteee Sat 30-May-09 10:20:07

Oooh I am quite excited on his behalf smile

I bet he'll be fine. I think that my boys would feel ok about school (if they ever decide to go back) because they know they have a choice. I bet your ds is more than ready and I hope you all have a great new life ahead.

Good luck!! grin

nappyelite Mon 01-Jun-09 07:57:45

Good luck!

And Julie- congratulations to your daughter!

Hope you both stick around. Your advice has always been invaluable and whenever anyone asks about HE anywhere we send them over here to look up your posts grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now