Advanced search

if you home ed your own child can you home ed someone else's at the same time?

(9 Posts)
kitbit Sun 01-Mar-09 15:10:37

...or does that make you a teacher (or tutor) and mean you need qualificiations and inspections etc
Even if it's not for payment? Does that still count as the other person home edding and "providing a suitable education" etc etc.

I am thinking of home edding ds and a friend with a ds the same age is also thinking about it. We were wondering about sharing it between us so that we could both work part time, and the boys would get some interaction while learning. Can we do that?

sarah293 Sun 01-Mar-09 15:16:18

Message withdrawn

Jux Sun 01-Mar-09 15:28:44

I would love dd to be home edded but by someone else! Preferably someone else with a few kids as dd's an only, and needs the interaction. I tried to HE her when he were living in a van for 7m but our relationship suffered so badly that I stoppedblush and she went back to school having missed tons of stuff.

kitbit Sun 01-Mar-09 15:37:09

Really? Tutors don't have certificates or inspections? Really surprised by that - I would have thought they would be subject to the same checks and regs as childminders. So anyone can offer themselves as a tutor and if someone wants to take them up on it that's up to them?

Cool, but scary, but cool.

sarah293 Sun 01-Mar-09 16:13:49

Message withdrawn

AMumInScotland Sun 01-Mar-09 17:43:15

I don't think individual tutors have any way of getting a CRB check, as it's done by the employer. Obviously if they're also a school teacher or similar then they will have one for that job.

You'd just need to make sure it doesn't look like you're child-minding - anything which is a regular arrangement, and done for gain )even if it's not money) can get caugh up in childminding regulations.

Kayteee Sun 01-Mar-09 19:21:48

We often hook up with other HomeEd families to share tutors. We have, for example, got together with approx 6/7 families and shared the cost for Maths and Science (I am crap at both) One of the Mums teaches some of them French (she is French herself)...she's not "qualified" but she does a great job and they really enjoy it. They sit around in comfy chairs eating biscuits whilst they learn grin
Go for it, you're lucky to have someone to start out with. Most of us begin on our own and it can be quite daunting

Kayteee Sun 01-Mar-09 19:25:09

Also, my two are often over at their H.E friends' houses without me and visa-versa so we all get a break from our own kids sometimes. It would be the same for you and your friend. I see no probs with your dc being at each others houses to play..there's no law (at least not yet) saying kids can't play at their own friends' houses!!
It's not like you'll be running a business.

TeenyTinyToria Sun 01-Mar-09 20:01:26

You can get a personal CRB check, without any need for an employer. I have had one done as an actor working with children. You can only get the Basic level though, not Standard or Enhanced.

Actually, I'm in Scotland so it's Disclosures we get, it may be different in England.

You won't need one to share home-ed though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now