Advanced search

moving back to UK, thinking of home educating, any advice ?

(4 Posts)
michymama Fri 26-Sep-08 14:35:23

Hi we're moving back to Uk from Italy in a few months time. My kids are DS 4 and DD 5 (5 in January and 6 in November). My 5 year old has just started school here in Italy whilst 4 yr old is at nursery.
We will be living with my mum in Liverpool for the fisrt 6 months at least. The area where she lives doesn't have the best primary schools and also as we will be arriving befpre xmas I'm assuming all the places in the decent schools will have been taken.
I'm also worried as DD is in english schooling a year behind. DS also has mild cerebral palsy although it only effects his walking. Saying that he's still at what would be pre school in UK so we are unaware if he has any learning difficulties at the mo. They are bi lingual, very sociable kids and very bright. They are very close and do play well together.
I'm thinking about home educating at least until September 2009, as hopefully by then we will be in our own house in (crosses fongers) a nice village nr Chester.
I figure this way I will also be able to carry on with the Italian schooling, on the off chance we can return to Italy one day.
So any advice ? What is the situation with the authorities ? Where do I start ??
Thanks !

AMumInScotland Fri 26-Sep-08 14:50:39

Legally, I believe children have to be in fulltime education from the term after they turn 5, so your DS would need to be getting education from either the January or after Easter depending on his birthday. Others can maybe correct those dates if I'm not quite right!

Anyway, it is up to you whether you choose to give them an education by sending them to school or by home education. Since they are not registered at any UK state school, you do not have to do anything "official" if you decide to home educate them. Just get on and do it - either just for a while, or longer term if you want to.

By law, you have to provide them with an education which is suitable for their age, ability and aptitudes, and for any special needs they have. But there is nothing in law which details exactly what that means, so you have the freedom to approach their education in whatever way you think best.

There are loads of threads on here about how different families go about that - but the great thing is that you can do what workd for you.

michymama Fri 26-Sep-08 15:08:47

Thanks, I'll have a look at the threads.
I've been googling and seena few sites that offer schooling materials but its a bit pricey.
Anyone know of any good websites for resources etc ?

julienoshoes Fri 26-Sep-08 15:43:27

Hello michymama

I wouldn't worry about paying for schooling materials at the moment. So many familys rush out and buy loads of schooly stuff and then it languishes on the shelves. (I know we did!)
So much educational stuff can be obtained for free off the web, or very cheaply at charity shops/car boot sales/ebay etc.

There is a thread here about websites about home education and one about books on home education and a thread about finding home educators local to you. I'll bump them all up for you to have a look at.

The excellent 'Muddle Puddle' Site and 'Home Ed in the UK' have links to loads of resources.

Home educators all go their own ways in the UK. Some are more formal doing 'school at home, others like us are totally autonomous and follow the children's interests entirely, with no formal work/structure involved unless the children themselves ask for it.
Then there is just about every combination in between. You can take your time and find out what suits your family best.

I also know that Cheshire has a good home ed scene smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now