Talk

Advanced search

Message for any Scottish Home eds

(11 Posts)
GentleOtter Thu 11-Sep-08 10:06:26

There is a Schoolhouse conference this weekend in the Webster Hall, Arbroath.
link here

StormInanEcup Thu 11-Sep-08 15:21:10

Message withdrawn

GentleOtter Thu 11-Sep-08 15:26:38

Are you going Storm?
I don't know what time it starts. Do you have any info?

GentleOtter Thu 11-Sep-08 15:37:16

I just had a phone call. It is £25 for the weekend and there are a couple of places left for the conference.It is 9.30 until 4.30.
Sat and Sun are more family orientated.

AMumInScotland Thu 11-Sep-08 15:38:48

Learning without limits website seems to have all the details.

GentleOtter Thu 11-Sep-08 16:53:56

Many thanks for that AMumInScotland.smile

StormInanEcup Fri 12-Sep-08 08:25:56

Message withdrawn

GentleOtter Sat 13-Sep-08 08:31:33

I was a bit shocked at John Taylor Gatto's speech and would be interested to hear how anyone else felt about the content.
I just want to hug the lovely mum that I met from the Ayrshire area. She was an inspiration and gave me lots of hope and practical advice.
Thank you.smile

StormInanEcup Sat 13-Sep-08 10:07:40

Message withdrawn

GentleOtter Sat 13-Sep-08 10:55:54

Truthfully, I had never heard of him but many people had travelled a good distance to hear him speak after reading his books.
I spoke to several people over lunch and the consensus was that it was very disappointing and that he was a better writer than speaker.
Many teachers were terribly upset as he practically made them out to be the Root of all Evil.
I found his talk to be heavily orientated towards American history and felt there was little content regarding HE in modern Scotland.

He did say that there were more positive aspects to be discussed today (the conference continues until Sunday.)

StormInanEcup Sat 13-Sep-08 11:09:26

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now