Advanced search

Withdrawing your child from school (Scotland)

(104 Posts)
AMumInScotland Mon 25-Feb-08 21:04:56

A thread for bumping up, to keep general information easily available.

The law in Scotland on Home Education is different from that in England. For full details, I'd recommend reading through the Schoolhouse site, but the basics are as follows:

If your child is attending a state school in the area, you must seek the consent of the education authority to withdraw them from school in order to home educate. To do this, you need to write to the Director of Education for your area, asking them to remove the child's name from the school roll. You will also have to provide outline proposals on your planned educational provision - you can either include this with your letter, or wait for them to ask, but it is quicker to include it. The local authority then has to consider whether there is any existing evidence indicating that there is good reason for refusing consent, eg child protection concern, and also whether there is evidence of the intention to provide "efficient and suitable" education. If there are no problems, they can in theory grant consent straight away, but certainly in most cases they should give a decision within 6 weeks.

You do not have to seek consent if your child has never attended state school in the area, or the school has closed down, or they have finished primary school but not started secondary.

Whether or not you have to seek consent, you will still have to give details of your educational provision, if asked by the local authority.

julienoshoes Mon 11-Jan-10 08:36:14


julienoshoes Thu 18-Feb-10 14:00:46


ommmward Mon 01-Mar-10 14:45:51


ommmward Tue 02-Mar-10 09:15:15


ommmward Wed 28-Apr-10 11:06:29


julienoshoes Fri 21-May-10 13:03:16

There seems to be a lot of new people about, who are thinking of home educating.
I'm dashing out now but bumping this and other hopefully useful threads.

SDeuchars Mon 31-May-10 12:52:59

Bumped for backtotalkaboutthis

SDeuchars Thu 01-Jul-10 08:20:41


ommmward Fri 16-Jul-10 17:39:25


willowthecat Sat 31-Jul-10 12:55:52

How do you request part time schooling for an autistic child in Scotland. DS (6) attends special school but we would now like to partly home school in the afternoons. Does anyone have experience of this ?

darleneconnor Sun 14-Nov-10 20:06:59

I'll bump this again.

Instead of starting a new thread, can anyone share their experiences of removing a child from a Scottish primary to home educate, please?

Does anyone know of any HE groups near Glasgow?

SDeuchars Mon 15-Nov-10 08:21:31

@darleneconnor: it's better to start a new thread. Lots of old hands won't look at this one because it is assumed to be the standard info - I only looked because it had been bumped but no others had.

I'll start a new thread for you.

julienoshoes Sat 04-Dec-10 15:55:45

bumped for info for newbies

julienoshoes Mon 20-Dec-10 22:17:20

bump in case nelehluap is from Scotland

SDeuchars Fri 07-Jan-11 07:53:06


misfitmum Fri 07-Jan-11 15:35:22

what if your child has started nursery, do you have to deregister them too? thanks

julienoshoes Mon 17-Jan-11 17:55:34


ommmward Thu 20-Jan-11 18:08:05


julienoshoes Thu 24-Feb-11 18:47:29


SDeuchars Fri 04-Mar-11 07:17:40


SDeuchars Fri 25-Mar-11 08:25:24


SDeuchars Thu 07-Apr-11 18:53:00


SDeuchars Fri 29-Apr-11 10:06:38


julienoshoes Thu 26-May-11 12:17:02


julienoshoes Fri 15-Jul-11 16:10:28

bumped for flootshoot in case you are in Scotland

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now