Talk

Advanced search

Hello properly!

(3 Posts)
absmum Sun 23-Sep-07 16:20:34

I thought i should introduce myself properly now i am HE my dd1. I was forced to HE as dd1 who is 14 school yr9 was having huge problems with bullies at school and had been for 6 yrs, this was physical as well as verbal abuse. All schools have bullying and dd1 has learning difficulties A.D.D with a big problem with concentration and short term memory loss!!! She was always in the bottom sets at school with horrible girls that were in the bottom set because they just didn't want to learn. My dd1 on the other hand does want to learn, I pulled her out of school in july and have to say its the best decision we have ever made. As a person she has changed dramatically, she used to be so moody and the arguments we used to have were awful! She was so unhappy at school because of the bullying and she used to just say we didn't care. It has been a huge learning curve for us, we never realised how far behind in maths she really was she at school, year 5 level so its really good that she's now getting one to one teaching with me.
My ds is fine at school, he's 11 and in yr7 just started secondary school, he's the opposite though, a child genius so I don't have to worry about him. My dd2 is only 3 and so far seems to be happy enough at playschool. I keep having panic attacks about the amount of work that we should be doing, and I find things like music and D.T really boring, I'm thinking of scrapping the subjects we are both not interested in. We do about 4 hours of work a day, is this normal? enough? too much? Did anyone else pull their children out of school because of bullying? Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Runnerbean Mon 24-Sep-07 09:37:51

Hi,
Welcome to the wonderful world of HE.
Have you joined EO?
www.education-otherwise.co.uk
There are also lots of HE yahoo and google forums which I find a much better source of support and advice than MN.
(Sorry MN- but unfortuneately the anti HE brigade rear their heads which is unhelpful when you are in the early and vulnerable stage at present-Will get blasted for that no doubtsad).
Where abouts in the country are you?
I could hunt out a local group for you, where your dd can make new friends.
I HE 2 dds 4 and 8.
The eldest came out a year ago because she is extremely bright and she was getting bored. (Worth bearing in mind for your ds).
We love HE it was the best thing I've ever done.grin

bluemountainriver Tue 25-Sep-07 09:15:19

Hi,
Bullying is a huge problem is schools. Always has been, always will be. Much of it can be insidious in nature, performed by teachers and pupils alike! We do maths, English and music every morning (music only because dd enjoys it) and in the afternoon, whatever she fancies. This can include cimema, museum and gallery visits, art and crafts, baking or going for a walk. If your dd needs to, or wants to cover something, it will come up and you can grab the opportunity when it does and study it whilst her interest is there. Sounds like you're doing just fine absmum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now