Talk

Advanced search

advice re my homeschooling schedule plz...

(8 Posts)
pinkdolly Mon 17-Sep-07 12:02:40

hiya,

I know that there are a variety of different approaches to homeschooling, and I might get some differing opinions on this, I just wanted to know what you think.

My oldest child was 5 in June and my middle child was 4 in August, so they are still very young.

I really want their education to be very much interest led at the moment, and focusing on learning through play. However, I do feel I should be giving them a good grounding of the basics.

So our typical day starts at whenever we're ready, usually between 8.30 and 9.00.

I am teaching them to read using synthetic phonics and have a syllabus for them to follow on this. Today we have covered the following areas-

Letter recognition and writing practice a-f and A-F. Using an alphabet poem, an upper and lower case matching/pairs game that I made for them. Wipe-clean writing sheets capitals and lower case.

I an using a maths syllabus also. But it is meant for in schools, it gave time allowances for use in school but we completed these tasks much much quicker.
So we have done-

number recognition and writing numbers 1-10.
picture poster with 5 pictures, explain pictures using the words 'above', 'below', 'next to' etc. Then count the animals in picture and put a dot per animal in a grid.

Identiefying shapes, which is bigger/smaller.

following instructions ie, raise your right arm, touch your left shoulder with your right hand etc.

worksheet- name and colour the shape/s put one dot per shape in the grid.

We have read 2 books so far today, one from the usborne phonics range and another. They love me reading to them and I will probably read to them at least 2 more books today, depends on them.

We also play games during the day, such as dominioes, alphabet or umber jigsaws etc.

They love crafts so we usually always end up making something.

I plan their lessons a day ahead, but they are by no means rigid. I do not believe in forcing my children to do work, they dont want to do. So inevitably sometimes lessons are scrapped for the day as they want to pursue other interests. The dds have a keen interest on recyclying, history and nature. So we try and cater to all of their interests.

Generally, I feel i'm doing fine. And that the way I am teaching them fits in with my views at the moment. But I suppose I just want some insight from some you with more experience then I. If you think its not enough or too much, i'd like to know.
Thanx for your help.

Pink.

pinkdolly Mon 17-Sep-07 12:05:01

Re-reading - I notice there seems to be more math work then english. This does change on a daily basis, I dont work by saying 30 mins of math followed by 30 mins of english. I just cover what i feel i should for the day. Tomorrow we may well have more english then math.

pinkdolly Mon 17-Sep-07 12:06:49

sorry- i should note, that all the above has been done and we are now finished for the day.
Although if they want to do more of anything math, english, crafts, stories, nature.....the list goes on. Then I will provide them with opportunities to do so.

lindenlass Mon 17-Sep-07 13:30:36

Hi pinkdolly

I'm by no means more experienced than you my oldest being only 4. However, I notice that my girls learn more when I step back and do nothing except facilitate whatever they want to do whenever they want to do it and learn less/switch off when I start teaching them anything. It sounds like your little ones are getting plenty of opportunities for learning and they're lucky that their mum/teacher is open to them deciding not to do things if they don't want to. Have you read any John Holt books or anything about autonomous learning/unschooling?

GoodEnoughMum Wed 19-Sep-07 20:11:29

My two are also 5 and 4 and I am basically following the national curriculum for Year 1 and Reception. We always start with Maths and English, sometimes formal learning, sometimes games and then go on to do a bit of science, music, art - all very informally - and outdoor play and playdates. I read to them after lunch when they are more tired. We get through stuff very quickly so often we only do a few hours a day.

It sounds like you are doing more than enough and it sounds like your children are learning a wonderful way.

pinkdolly Wed 19-Sep-07 20:24:52

thank you for your replies.

I suppose i just wanted some confirmation that i was giving them enough to do.

lindenlass, I have heard of John Holt and have done some extensive research on which style of homeschooling would suit me. I have read free range education edited by terri dowty, which I found particuarly helpful. To be honest I'm not sure that i'm brave enough to do autonomous learning, i'd be afraid that all my two would do is play all day. That said, we do have days which are very autonomous in style, so I think I fall somewhere in the middle.

goodenoughmum- Can I just ask, do you intend to always follow the national curriculum. Just being nosey really, am very interested in how other people are teaching their children, there are just so many different methods. I am trying to get a good gauge of how people vary in their teaching styles.

I know it's probably really early to be saying this but I'm not even sure I want my girls to be taking their GCSE's when they are older. Of course if they come to me one day and say they'd like to then that would be different.

GoodEnoughMum Wed 19-Sep-07 21:15:52

I'm following the national curriculum for two reasons, firstly because I was worried I might miss something important! and secondly because there is a good chance they will go to school at some point and if so I want them to be able to fit back in academically.

Having said that we do the work very informally and my eldest pretty much taught himself to read. We also fall somewhere between formal and autonomous as I've found that the things he enjoys he learns quickly.

GoodEnoughMum Wed 19-Sep-07 21:19:38

Also I'm pretty sure that even if mine do go to primary school, I will home ed them at secondary level and they won't do GCSEs unless they want to, nor will I follow the national curriculum then.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: