(9 Posts)
Hope102 Wed 10-Apr-19 09:25:12

Thanks everyone

OP’s posts: |
Hope102 Wed 10-Apr-19 09:24:44

Thanks everyone

April241 Mon 08-Apr-19 17:52:45

We had a song in school and you could buy it on tape (?!) it was great and really made it stick, there were 12 different songs up to the 12 times table.

FeedMeTikka Mon 08-Apr-19 17:47:49

Try the book ‘times fables’ I got it off eBay, just £7. Taught my two their 3,4, 6, 7, 8 and 9 times tables in a week!

Pashazade Mon 08-Apr-19 17:47:47

We have a poster and I get ds to chant them off to me. It is the only thing I do that is rote learning because it works well and then we come across them in other bits of maths and the stored knowledge seems to be slowly building.

Hope102 Mon 08-Apr-19 17:46:06

Thanks for the tips.👍

RomanyQueen1 Mon 08-Apr-19 17:26:26

Chanting is great. Mine liked percussion instruments so they kept time with these and had fun. Also, we found a cassette/ cd with times tables songs was effective. They listened to it whilst falling asleep.
For the early ones count in that number going up and down the stairs.
Put squares of paper on the floor , you say a sum like 3x4 and they have to run to the right square.
A normal pack of playing cards, use the suits too if they are old enough to go to 12 times tables.
Turn over two cards and the child has to multiply the numbers, you can use a timer if you like.

Advertisement

sleepismysuperpower1 Mon 08-Apr-19 17:15:24

my dd and ds were taught them like this:

- they began with the 2 times table. we chanted it through once a day until they knew it, before moving on to the 3 times, then 4 times etc. say the full sum, not just the answers. eg: 'one times two is two, two times two is four'- rather than two,four,six.

- we also got one of these, and as they learnt a times table we filled that line in. once it was all full up, they got a sticker.

-we also used the above grid to do quick tests (only once they knew all their times tables). i would rub out all the squares and they would get a certain amount of time to fill them all in.

when teaching the times tables, try to go over them frequently. so run through them once a day, then once they know them move on to the next set, but still visit the previous set once a week so they remember them.

all the best x

Hope102 Mon 08-Apr-19 12:54:33

Hi, can anyone recommend an effective way of teaching times tables.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in