Talk

Advanced search

Phonics

(17 Posts)
Greysmum Sat 19-May-18 21:07:59

Does anyone know where I can looks for assistance with helping my child to read. He's doing great but I often get stuck with resources. My son is 4 and going to school in September but he craves stimulation and o need things to do with him until then. Help!

bridgetosomewhere Sat 19-May-18 21:26:09

Jolly phonics?
They have an early reader book series too I used with dd

Greysmum Sat 19-May-18 21:58:08

I'm looking for a discussion forum I think. I get stuck on books to get other than Oxford Reading Owl/Tree. I don't know what the banded colours are. What happens when my son spells something and is phonetically correct but wrong spelling? Does this get ingrained or should I not worry? Appropriate reading material etc. Writing practice.

bridgetosomewhere Sat 19-May-18 22:44:13

Oh I see. Could you have a look for the home ed pages on Facebook?

GreenTulips Sat 19-May-18 22:46:12

Kids can read perfectly well and still get spellings wrong. It's quite normal. They are different skills.

ScaredPAD Sat 19-May-18 22:51:32

If he's going to school in September they will honestly go through it then with them and im sure if hes bright he'll pick it up so quickly! There's no need to rush reading. Enjoy reading together and all the bother fun things there's time to do now before school starts.

ScaredPAD Sat 19-May-18 22:52:26

Your school will likely do an information evening regarding how they teach phonics (and if not ask them at one of the welcome events this term.)

Saracen Sun 20-May-18 08:03:19

You might want to ask this on the Primary board. I think (but am not sure) that the usual advice given there to parents of children who are or will be going to school is to start with whichever scheme the school uses, so as not to confuse the child. Have you spoken to the school to see what their approach is?

I have an idea that parents whose kids are at school tend to supplement at home with a different phonics scheme ONLY if the school's approach hasn't been working for their child. And probably four would be too young to decide that the school's approach wasn't working, as it may be that the child just isn't ready yet.

GreenTulips Sun 20-May-18 08:17:42

I wouldn't look at handwriting books rather than look at spellings
Look at Oxford owl online for audio books so he gets a wider variation in language
Look at letters and sounds for online phonic sounds and games

Greysmum Sun 20-May-18 08:47:48

I was thinking of asking the school. I was a bit nervous to be honest because whenever I mention about teaching my son to read I get quite a mixed bag of responses.
I visited a school last year and asked how they support good readers, her response was on the lines of, he might be able to read but we make sure they have context - as if this is something I hadn't been doing.
Anytime I ask for reading advice or resources I have people telling me not to rush reading, he's too young, enjoy reading, make sure he understands the context, school will teach him, give him something he enjoys, don't put him under pressure. It's frustrating because he genuinely enjoys reading (and maths). He loves making up words, being fun and silly with words, we re-read many books so he understands the stories. School is 4 months away, which is doesn't seem long to a grown up but to a 4 year old, it's quite a long time.
I'm completely ok if the school use a different reading scheme, it will only add to the knowledge he already has but need something to do with him in the mean time that is different to just books. We have 2 reading sets on the go for variety but it's difficult to find the right level unless I see the exact words on the pages, so hard to tell looking at books on line. We have a good library but the books get very hard, very quickly and often the ones I want are on loan. Would love to hear from other mums who are teaching at home too.

GreenTulips Sun 20-May-18 09:02:29

The Oxford owl online audio books are great and in order for phonics and have games to play for the individual sounds.
Lots of free books on there so you can see if it suits.

bobisbored Sun 20-May-18 09:02:32

I am a TA in a reception class and we use these books.
https://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qsproductt_tbp?productId=537110&catalogId=10051&catId=174713
There are another set but I couldn't find them on the website, they have no words, just pictures and the child has to tell you the story from what they see in the pictures. It sounds like you are doing all the right things.

Greysmum Sun 20-May-18 13:50:37

So with these Biff Chip and Kipper book, is the idea that each book is read once and then you move in to the next one? We have these sets, which he enjoys reading but we tend to repeat them a lot and go through he phonics for each of the new words. We've got the Spelling Dictionary too and look up words to see what graphemes are used for each word. We've also got the Song Birds too for variation. Does this sound right??
How do I get common use words into his vocabulary?

ILoveMyMonkey Sun 20-May-18 14:00:17

Try these songbird phonic books by Julia Donaldson. My school uses them and they are more interesting than biff and bloody chip.
www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&productId=218821&cm_mmc=Google%20Adwords-_-PLA-_-Songbirds+Phonics+Collection+-+36+Books-_--SONB&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsa3B_quU2wIV6JPtCh3vMgGnEAQYASABEgLqOPD_BwE

ILoveMyMonkey Sun 20-May-18 14:01:30

Oops sorry, just spotted you've got the songbird books so ignore me blush

Waddlelikeapenguin Thu 24-May-18 10:48:14

You might find thisreadingmama.com interesting

NoTNoShade Thu 24-May-18 10:53:45

I’d recommend Mr Thorne. He has lots of videos on YouTube and apps for spelling and phonics.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: