Advanced search

which online school/support for primary age

(11 Posts)
Branleuse Sat 17-Feb-18 16:02:59

Has anyone got any experience of online schooling for primary age that could help me decide who to go for. My daughter is year 5 (9) and has aspergers with some PDA tendencies and has been school refusing and ive been in a bit of a crisis over it and ive deregistered her. I want to keep some online stuff going as im not confident i can keep her up to date with core subjects if I can get her to return to school on a flexi basis later. Im not sure if Wolsley hall would be suitable as i think its not interactive lessons, and more projects set, like OU, which im not sure i can manage the level of support necessary. I like the idea of brite school. Cambridge online looks good but very full on and very expensive. Are there any others, and has anyone got experience they wouldnt mind talking about.

Branleuse Sat 17-Feb-18 16:07:22

Sorry i havent done proper paragraphs, that looks messy.
I wish we could edit sometimes!

GingerIvy Mon 19-Feb-18 10:12:18

I don't have any info re online schooling (as in complete coursework). We pick and choose what we want to use for our home ed as we're more semi-structured.

Hopefully someone will be along that has more info for you. smile

Lucyjackson12 Mon 19-Feb-18 11:04:10

Hi, I have read some good reviews of This could perhaps be a good alternative as I know online schooling can be great for children with Aspergers. I know someone who has used My Online Schooling and I think it's pretty interactive too. They seem to be offering free trials too.

Hope this helps!

Branleuse Tue 20-Feb-18 10:30:29

oooh thanks for that link. Ive messaged them. Sounds promising actually

Branleuse Wed 21-Feb-18 11:36:15

ive signed her up with it. She LOVED the trial lesson, and the CEO answered all my questions straight away. They are really new so theres only one other kid in her class, which works really well for her. I signed her up after just one trial lesson and she just loves it. Shes so happy and I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted. Thankyou for recommending it, as i didnt find this one online

Branleuse Wed 21-Feb-18 11:37:47

its more expensive than briteschool, but a few more hours and the timetable suits me better, plus they answer questions much more quickly

Mumof4crazies Sun 25-Feb-18 19:24:53

I've been thinking about online school for my DS who is 10. He's has Aspergers and has been struggling with attending school for most of y6 due to anxiety. Ive looked at the myonlineschool website and it looks perfect. Do you mind me asking how much fees are before we try a session in case we simply cannot afford it 😣x

Branleuse Sun 25-Feb-18 20:28:22

Hi @mumof4crazies for primary school age its 3 days a week, 9am till 1.30, and its £2400 a year, but you can pay monthly or termly.
My daughter is doing english, maths, science, history, geography and french, and she has loved every lesson so far. The teachers seem great.

My 17 year old aspie who has been at a SEN school, is going to trial one of their history GCSE lessons tommorow, as history wasnt a subject at his school, nor is a gcse in it offered at his college. Theyve been very accomodating.

One thing I really like is how quickly they answer questions and get back to me

Mumof4crazies Sun 25-Feb-18 21:15:24

Thank you @branleuse I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. After another horrible Sunday with him feeling sick all day and having a massive meltdown tonight we definitely need to try something different. I run my own business from home but don't feel he is getting enough quality teaching from me when I'm trying to fit it in around work, meetings etc.

Branleuse Mon 26-Feb-18 07:40:23

if you go onto the website during working hours (and sometimes outside of them) they have a live chat facility and the CEO, Tom, seems to be available to answer questions almost straight away. They offered my daughter two free trial lessons to see how she liked it, but she was desperate to sign up after the first one, which reassured me that it was never learning or willingness to learn that was the problem, it was the school environment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now