Associates degree

(9 Posts)
wiziliz Sun 04-Feb-18 03:54:19

Hello everyone, my nearly 13 year old wants to do a associates degree! I am clueless at the moment. By the time she finishes her IGCSE she wants to have some kinda degree or something. Is there anything like that she can do? Any universities in the UK which offer it online? (only attend workshops and exams?)
Please someone guide me, I am going crazy.

OP’s posts: |
NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Sun 04-Feb-18 12:05:06

Are you in UK?

wiziliz Sun 04-Feb-18 15:09:55

Not in the UK , but can travel for workshops, exams etc.

OP’s posts: |
Saracen Mon 05-Feb-18 03:13:42

Either I am confused, or your daughter is!

An associates' degree is not a British qualification, and isn't awarded by British universities. It's equivalent to the first few years of an undergraduate degree, so it's a good deal further advanced than what your daughter is now doing.

What does she mean by "some kinda degree or something"? For what purpose does she want it? The IGCSEs are themselves a qualification, so she will have something to show for her work when she has finished sitting those. They are not at university level, however, or even the precursor to university level.

Is she finding the IGCSEs too easy for her level of understanding? If not, the usual route would be to finish those before continuing at a higher level. In the UK the next step would traditionally have been A levels and then a three year undergraduate degree, but there are many variations on that.

wiziliz Mon 05-Feb-18 11:19:57

Thanks *Saracen. She is driving me mad big time...she finds IGCSEs easy , so wants to do some advanced courses .. Basically I am lost, I am looking for advice..

OP’s posts: |
NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Mon 05-Feb-18 15:23:48

What about A levels

UnimaginativeUsername Mon 05-Feb-18 15:29:48

The English equivalent is probably a foundation degree. Lots of colleges and some universities offer them.

Why not plan to do a BA/BSc instead though?

UnimaginativeUsername Mon 05-Feb-18 15:30:30

And yes, you’d need A-levels or equivalent to start a foundation degree.

Saracen Tue 06-Feb-18 00:56:43

Some very bright kids skip IGCSEs and go straight to A levels. She could look at A level syllabi online and see whether she thinks it would be right for her.

If you can afford it, have a look at the Open University, which offers a range of excellent distance learning programmes. It is very well respected nationally and internationally. Children can be accepted onto OU courses if they have the necessary academic readiness and personal maturity.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in