Talk

Advanced search

Does using NISIA virtual school

(7 Posts)
dataandspot Tue 05-Dec-17 20:03:15

Count as home education? My child is 17 and it may be named on their EHCP but am worried we will loose tax credits if it is seen as home ed.

Saracen Thu 07-Dec-17 00:34:24

I have wondered that myself. I don't know, but I bet the virtual school will know the answer to that one. It must be important to many of their parents. If you find the answer, would you post back here with it?

By the way, I saw on your other thread that your child has no history of elective home education before the age of 16 but that they'd had home-based tuition provided by the school. You're right that this situation may not pass the Tax Credits litmus test to qualify for TC while being HE after Y11.Then again, maybe it does.

As I understand it, the reason for this requirement of HE before 16 is to try to weed out families who might try to claim TC when they aren't actually HEing their older teen. A previous track record of HE is one way to make the distinction. Possibly home-based tuition provided by the school could be seen as evidence of intent to home educate.

Interestingly, the critical question on the Child Benefit form does not refer specifically to ELECTIVE home education. The question is, "When did they first start to be educated somewhere other than at a school or college?" I don't remember whether there is a corresponding question on the TC form or whether qualifying for TC is contingent on qualifying for CB.

If you aren't familiar with the tremendously useful and comprehensive Edyourself website, have a look:
edyourself.org/articles/claimbenefitspost16s.php

Sorry to waffle. Hope that is a bit helpful.

dataandspot Mon 11-Dec-17 22:26:00

Saracen

The virtual school wasn't sure but thought I wouldn't be able to recieve tax credits.

Branleuse Thu 11-Jan-18 09:15:46

What do you mean? You cant claim tax credits if you home educate?? I have never heard this

Saracen Thu 11-Jan-18 12:11:50

Branleuse, for children who are at or below compulsory school age (end of Y11), education has no bearing on eligibility for benefits.

After Y11, young people who are still in full-time education and who meet certain criteria still qualify until their 20th birthday. Home education can qualify, but only if the young person had been HE at some point before their 16th birthday. I assume the OP's teen wasn't previously HE, so it would be necessary for them to be on a recognised course with a registered provider for the right number of hours in order to get Tax Credits.

Claiming is a bit complicated, so if you are planning to be home educating a child beyond CSA then it's best to get advice on a home ed forum in order to ensure you do the forms correctly.

Branleuse Thu 11-Jan-18 12:57:37

oh i see, so it doesnt affect children of normal school age

Saracen Thu 11-Jan-18 23:12:56

That's right.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: