Talk

Advanced search

Flex schooling

(9 Posts)
iismum Mon 04-Dec-17 16:15:11

We've just taken the decision to take DD (10; P6) out of school on Fridays. We like her school but feel she isn't really being stretched that much and is a bit overlooked as a quiet child who doesn't struggle in a large and quite difficult class, so we think a bit of one-to-one time will be really beneficial for her.

We plan to spend about a third of the day doing work around supporting what she is doing in school - e.g., using work books for maths, comprehension, etc., to pick her where there are gaps and take her further, and around two thirds of the time doing much more expansive stuff. Our ideas are around looking at broader subjects but also around learning in general - things like how do we know what we know, how was the scientific method developed, different ways of looking at history, etc. We'd like it to include a bit of research - e.g., getting her to find stuff out online, begin to assess how much she should believe what she reads, etc. I guess it's really about teaching her to think analytically and rigorously.

I have lots of ideas of where to start but suggestions of resources or ideas from other people who've tried something similar would be really helpful. We'll be starting after Christmas.

Thanks!

1099 Tue 05-Dec-17 09:47:41

iismum, Are you in UK, I only ask because you say 'we've taken the decision', but in UK Flexi-schooling isn't a decision you can take arbitrarily, it has to be agreed by the school head and in the circumstances you describe it would be unusual for a head to agree to this, it would impact on her (and their) attendance records and education, although you say you want to expand on the stuff she already does at school what about the things she will be missing by not being at school on the same day every week.
That aside without knowing where you are people can only suggest online resources which I'm sure you have already researched if you're starting after Christmas.

MaisyPops Tue 05-Dec-17 09:51:37

I was going to say much what 1099 said.

My school offers reduced/flexible timetables where there's medical or mental health issues but they are bespoke programmes agreed with the head and other agencies. They're not someone deciding they want flexi schooling.

Allthecoolkids Tue 05-Dec-17 10:02:17

We flexischool in the UK, it’s brilliant. Our head is fully on board, there are schools all over the UK that do it and it is perfectly legal. There’s a UK flexischooling group on FB.

As to what we do: we’ve done a mixture of things. Sometimes we’ve worked on core skills directly using workbooks, other times we’ve done project work eg Ancient Greece where we’ve incorporated report writing, poster making, imaginative stories, cookery, art, craft projects, music etc.

It’s brilliant fun, enjoy. My kids have plenty of friends in and out of school, are in the top groups for everything at school and are rested and less stressed. Make it what you want and enjoy smile

iismum Tue 05-Dec-17 11:03:12

Sorry to be slow to respond. We're in the Scotland, where we do have the right to do this - and also we don't have this huge focus on attendance. When you say there's no right to do this in the UK, I think you're talking about England? The head has already agreed and were filling in the form with the council.

iismum Tue 05-Dec-17 11:06:26

coolkids - great to hear you're having such a great experience. How long have you been doing it for? Can you give me the name of the Facebook group, that sounds really useful. Do you have any tips on getting materials/plans together. I'm a bit worried I'll make it too loose and we won't get that much done.

MaisyPops Tue 05-Dec-17 11:08:15

Sounds great OP.

The only reason I wanted to check the head was on board was because every now and then you hear of people 'deciding' to flexi school and dont seem to realise there's a process to do it properly.

It works well for our students who do it (England secondary).

If i had the option I wouldn't mind flexi schooling my own DC one day.

Projects sound good and a friend of mine who homeschools contacts the education people at local museums etc so the kids do fun educational things there too.

1099 Tue 05-Dec-17 17:36:16

Hi OP;
Are you sure it's a right, I thought the 1980 Education Scotland Act laid it out as an option in agreement with the Head, same as elsewhere in UK, and I can't see an amendment to that, but then I'm in England so don't really use that Legislation, but laws my area of interest not a criticism or anything, I'm genuinely interested, We HE at the moment but Flexi schooling is something we want the High school to consider when the time comes.

iismum Wed 06-Dec-17 06:25:55

Ok, sorry everyone, it seems like I've been spreading misinformation. The policy is not that different between Scotland and England, but the implementation is. The LA really decides the implementation, and our LA has a policy that this is up to the parents - so in my case, it is up to us more or less, but this may be different elsewhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now