Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would hugely appreciate any thoughts from the home ed community...

(6 Posts)
Twerking9to5 Sun 29-Oct-17 18:28:43

I'm currently a primary school teacher but am trying to think of how I could focus my teaching. I love running phonics/reading interventions-helping children 1:1 or in small groups who are struggling with elements of reading or spelling.

I really would appreciate any thoughts on whether this would be desirable to any home educators? I know it'll depend on a fair few factors but it would be good to understand if this sort of service would be in any way useful or not!

Thanks v much

CappuccinoCake Sun 29-Oct-17 18:30:31

The ones I know tend not to pay for tuition , at least not at primary (and some are anti phonics/prefer to let them learn at their own pace even if it's a lot later).

I might be wrong though!

Twerking9to5 Sun 29-Oct-17 18:42:38

That's really helpful-thank you!!

ommmward Sun 29-Oct-17 20:00:57

I'd be surprised at many home educators wanting help from people with learning to read. Anecdotally, children teach themselves to read without much intervention, as long as they are in a thoroughly literate environment, their parents read to them lots, there are interesting things around to be reading, and as long as there isn't something complicating the mix (like dyslexia or something).

Sorry... I wouldn't go that way as a business plan ;)

FireworksAndSparklers Sat 04-Nov-17 08:49:08

I would say 'no'. Most people home educate to get away from schoolishness - sorry!

On a personal note, it drives me nuts when tutors see home educators as a good market to sell to. Please don't do it!

Heratnumber7 Sat 04-Nov-17 09:00:15

“Anecdotally, children teach themselves to read without much intervention, as long as they are in a thoroughly literate environment, their parents read to them lots, there are interesting things around to be reading”

Exactly that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now