Talk

Advanced search

EHCP when Child is at home

(10 Posts)
Verbena37 Wed 18-Oct-17 07:49:55

Hi,
Just a quick plea asking if anybody has or has hadn’t a child with ASD or other, refusing school and in the home setting when an EHCP hasn’t still been applied for?

DS has been out of school since last summer term and I’ve been advised tat it’s best to keep him on roll because applying for an EHCP will be extremely difficult if not. I am pretty sure there will be others in my position and just wondered if you could share how initial assessment for an EHCP went if so.

gonepottie Wed 18-Oct-17 08:01:59

I am not an expert on this but was on the understanding that an EHCP is not needed for home educated children as it's tied into school funding. I may be wrong though

Verbena37 Wed 18-Oct-17 08:02:07

Oops, typos.
...in the Home setting when an EHCP has still been applied for.

Verbena37 Wed 18-Oct-17 08:03:58

It isn’t to get an EHCP for Home.....he is studying with Interhigh currently because we were desperate for him to have some education whilst refusing school.

It’s in case he needs to go back to a school...mainstream or special in the future. I’m not technically home educating him....Interhigh is an online school with live taught lessons.

Schroedingerscatagain Wed 18-Oct-17 09:57:57

Hi Verbena

Dd is at Interhigh with an EHCP, similar situation we pulled the plug on school put her in inter then obtained the EHCP which now funds Interhigh

Verbena37 Wed 18-Oct-17 10:27:40

Hi there SCA
So your LA were fine about assessing her for an EHCP from a Home setting?
People have been saying if I take him off roll, that’s basically declaring us out of their responsibility and we will be unsuccessful in securing an EHCP assessment.

Can I ask you how they made their assessment with her being at Home? Did they even see her or go by your paper evidence?

Schroedingerscatagain Wed 18-Oct-17 13:46:05

We had started the ball rolling while she was still in school, her anxiety escalated to the point of suicidal thoughts

The school had lied on application for the EHCP which was initially refused

We met separately with the LA supported by a local charity with evidence that the school had lied and provided medical evidence

They instantly overturned the decision agreed to assess and offered to try and arrange funding before she even had an EHCP which they did within days

We met with the senior L A ed psych who spent time with dd to complete her assessment out of a school setting

Verbena37 Wed 18-Oct-17 13:56:39

Ah ok. Thank you. That’s helpful.
So when they say EHCP Assessment, is that literally the Ed psych who does it?
Because if so, DS has already had one in the summer. If not, what else does the assessment involve, people-wise? Do people come into the home and assess them doing something?

Schroedingerscatagain Wed 18-Oct-17 15:19:13

We had no other assessments but that may be down to a he situation, if you post on special needs education others might have different experiences

Glad you’re enjoying Interhigh, if it helps Emochild another mumsnetter used my info and got funding at tribunal

Some students do stay on their old school roll and the school funds Interhigh out of the special needs budget of the child has an EHCP, could you talk to the school about that?

Verbena37 Wed 18-Oct-17 15:28:18

That’s a whole other thread (already on SN Chat) about taking him off roll grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now