Talk

Advanced search

Had a chat with DS about possible home schooling

(14 Posts)
RunRubyRun Tue 25-Apr-17 22:33:11

DS is nearly 8 and in Y3, he's one of those calm quiet(ish) kids who constantly analyses stuff and overthinks everything. He gets anxious about large groups (but not every time), he's a bookworm and science fan. Quite geeky grin
Anyway, he's been having tummy aches for nearly a year now, doesn't want to go to school because "he's tummy hurts there all day" and "everyone keeps talking at lesson time" (when people interrupt and don't follow the rules, he gets stressed about it). School is being lovely and supportive, moved tables so DS doesn't have to sit next to chatty kids. No bullying and he has couple of very good friends.
Most mornings he wakes up with tummy pain and most nights he goes to bed same. Btw, we have ruled out everything medical with loads of tests. And also not in pain during weekends and just had two weeks pain-free Easter hols.
I hate seeing him like that. I have thought about HS, lurking here a lot and general googling. Tonight DS came out of bed again for 100th time asking if he has to go to school tomorrowsad So I just said to him what if I said he doesn't have to go back. His face lit up! We talked about it more - he feels he wouldn't want to leave his friends but he would like to spend his days with me exploring outdoors and researching cool stuff, doing any maths he likesgrin not "boring school maths he already knows". We agreed to think about it more and not chat about it at 10pm.
I haven't joined any local HS Facebook groups but would it be OK for non-HS coming along to any meetups for a chat? Do you think this would be best way for me and DS get an idea what HS is about? Any suggestions or anything to consider before making the decision? Or to help to make the decision?

sonlypuppyfat Tue 25-Apr-17 22:38:33

I home schooled dd for 6 months when she was in yr7 we loved it, she was being bullied and had the tummy aches that never went away. In the end she got lonely for other kids and I sent her to a new school.

Velvetbee Tue 25-Apr-17 22:39:47

Do ask to join a local group and say you are thinking about HE. Then go along to a group or meet up with a family or two to see how it might work.
Or just take him out, you'll have a ball. (Not biased at all.)

RunRubyRun Tue 25-Apr-17 22:52:14

Thanks sonlypuppyfat. It might not be easy to get back to the same school, it's quite over subscribed, although might be better chances in y5 and y6.

Velvetbee thanks, I though it should be ok but wasn't sure. Off to search for local FB groups.

RunRubyRun Wed 26-Apr-17 23:25:54

I feel I'm really up for the idea but DS thinks it's going to be just me and him, every day, no friends and other kids to meet. He has two very good friends in his class but DS is concerned his friends will be sad when he leaves. I guess I could always keep in touch and arrange after school playdates with them.. DS is still undecided.

isittheholidaysyet Wed 26-Apr-17 23:30:32

I joined facebook home ed groups when thinking about HE and went (without DS) to a meet up to chat to other parents. I really recommend doing that.

(To find local groups put 'home ed' or 'home education' and the name of your city, County or nearby towns into the search bar of Facebook)

RunRubyRun Thu 27-Apr-17 10:34:11

isittheholidaysyet thanks, that's what I just done yesterdaysmile Couple of lovely mums got back to me and I'm going to meet them next week.
This morning was another difficult one. DS had to go to school as I have an appointment middle of day and can't take him with me. The way he looked at me and with his quiet voice just kept asking "why do I have to go to school?"sad I know when he's there he puts on brave face and gets everything done, whilst counting down minutes until 3.20pm...
I've also ordered the book Free Range Education: How Home Education Works after seeing it recommended here, it should arrive today. Hoping to read some inspirational storiessmile

isittheholidaysyet Thu 27-Apr-17 13:45:39

Thats good runbaby

By meeting local people you can get an idea of the opportunities available in the area. Might help the decision, especially if he's worried about friends.

I hope you get sorted.

Waddlelikeapenguin Thu 27-Apr-17 21:45:57

*Do ask to join a local group and say you are thinking about HE. Then go along to a group or meet up with a family or two to see how it might work.
Or just take him out, you'll have a ball. (Not biased at all.)*
This.
Have fun smile

MyWhatICallNameChange Thu 27-Apr-17 21:55:28

I took my 9 yo out in September and it's the best thing I've done - he has ASD & ADHD, and Just wasn't getting the support at school. He has a lovely group of friends now, whereas he had one friend at school and bullying was happening as the differences between him and his peers was becoming more noticeable.

Before I deregistered him he was saying he'd only be HE'd for a year and wanted to go back for y6 (definitely not, as I didn't want him to have the stress of sats) it now he says he's going to be home educated forever. grin

Do join your local Facebook group. My local one is friendly and there's lots going on and groups to join, and always someone happy to offer advice.

Good luck.

RunRubyRun Wed 03-May-17 09:07:01

I've done it this morning!!! Just got back from school, hand delivered the de-reg letter smile Head teacher wasn't at school but I had a chat with office head. I was bit emotional had something in my eye when explaining how hard it is for DS to come in every day, it's like he's constantly carrying heavy load on his shoulders and he shouldn't go on like this. I know I didn't need to explain anything but she's lovely and we always chat a bit. I will be still involved with the school as DD is in Y6. I'm now expecting head teacher to contact me, but again, I don't mind informal chat with him.

ommmward Wed 03-May-17 17:58:12

Oh well done, well done!!!

Waddlelikeapenguin Wed 03-May-17 20:45:58

Good for you!
Enjoy smile

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now