Talk

Advanced search

Distance learning for A-level: who are the reputable providers?

(10 Posts)
Number42 Thu 06-Apr-17 10:09:36

Following on from previous post, we want to look into distance learning options for dd16 who is in y12 but has increasingly struggled with conventional school (she's Aspergers) and can't really go on now with it, but is still keen to do A-levels. How do we find who are the reputable providers in this area?

lizzyj4 Thu 06-Apr-17 10:18:57

Look for providers who have some form of accreditation - e.g. with the ODLQC - www.odlqc.org.uk

I'd also check out recommendations on:

www.facebook.com/groups/HELinksUK.IGCSE/

They have a detailed wiki, with info on lots of distance learning providers (although mostly focused on GCSE).

I've always rated NEC very highly for GCSEs and A'Levels: www.nec.ac.uk

My youngest son is with Interhigh, who also do A'levels, and may be a good choice if you're looking for something closer to an online classroom experience.

Number42 Thu 06-Apr-17 10:29:36

Thanks lizzyj4 have asked to join the Facebook group.
ODLQC seems a great idea in principle - shame that they have very few actual accredited organisations (eg not NEC).

lizzyj4 Thu 06-Apr-17 10:56:36

Sorry, there are other accrediting organisations too, I just can't remember all of them Some providers, such as NEC, tend to go for individual accreditation for different course areas, e.g. CACHE for childcare courses. They are one of the few distance learning providers who are a not-for-profit trust rather than a for-profit company, which makes a difference I think.

Other accreditation to look out for is BAC - www.the-BAC.org - but this seems to be pursued mainly by institutions that offer both face-to-face and distance learning courses.

Lapinlapin Thu 06-Apr-17 10:58:23

Just wondering ... Would she not be better with tutors in the relevant subjects? Or would that work out too expensive?

Number42 Thu 06-Apr-17 11:30:25

Lapinlapin yes v possibly; we are just trying to get as many options on the table as possible. Our biggest concern is avoiding a situation where she tells herself she's studying but in practice is not putting in the hours.

Lapinlapin Thu 06-Apr-17 11:36:19

In which case, if you had visiting tutors, I'd have thought she's far more likely to do the work! If she had say 2 hours of tuition for each subject a week, and they set her homework for in between, then she's accountable to someone and can't get away with not working! Plus it's more personal and nice to have people to support her.

I would have thought there's a big danger with online/distance learning of falling through the cracks. However, I readily admit I know very little about distance learning.

user1471537877 Thu 06-Apr-17 12:33:00

Hi op

Have you looked at Interhigh? Lots of youngsters just like your DD

Our DD also aspie has been there 2 years now and it's been a huge success

Number42 Thu 06-Apr-17 13:38:09

Thanks to MN I now know about Interhigh. It does look interesting, but I just don't know what dd will think. She finds institutions v difficult - all but a small minority of teachers she soon finds "stupid" "annoying" etc; she won't play ball with rules about attendance, doing homework and her general line is that "if they'd just leave me alone to get on with it in my own way I'd be fine". That's only partly true, but it's what she believes. In that sense Interhigh may have too much structure.

user1494533595 Wed 14-Jun-17 21:32:50

I am reposting this from another thread as you mentioned NEC college.
My daughter studied with the open study college and upon completion of her courses and subsequent search for suitable employment, found out the "certificates" and "qualifications" were worthless. Neither course qualified her in any respect. We remain significantly out of pocket, with a business, not "college" that wont speak to us.
I hoped we were in the minority however upon researching (which my daughter wishes she had done more of in the beginning) we have found many victims of this college in a similar or worse position. Tried leaving a review on Facebook, but they removed the review section just after we posted. In addition, the courses were less courses and more a folder of information to read.
My advice (not professional) however personal, is AVOID this company. She is now studying with a professional college - NEC, and the support, course and overall ethics of this college is far superior to the open study college.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now