Home school for a 16+ - status?

(5 Posts)
Number42 Wed 05-Apr-17 16:01:20

What would be the status of a Y12 who says "I want to study at home instead of going to school". In formal/legal terms, is that home education just as it would be for an under 16, or is it something different? Have looked everywhere but can't find the answer.

OP’s posts: |
ommmward Wed 05-Apr-17 19:25:08

Yes, it's still home education.

There's complications with child benefit type stuff if they weren't home educated up to that point - I don't know the details, but I think there's info on fiona nicholson's edyourself webpage.

Saracen Thu 06-Apr-17 07:07:10

Hi Number42, yes, that is still home education. I agree that Edyourself is a fantastic resource for this sort of information.

After the end of compulsory school age parents no longer have a legal duty to educate their children, and the legal responsibility falls on the young person to remain in education or training until their 18th birthday. Home education is a permissible way for them to meet this duty.

Local Authorities don't take any interest in the quality of elective home education for young people who are over CSA, so you won't be hearing from them with a request for details about the home ed. They may ring or send a form to ask your young person whether/where they are being educated. Currently this is just for statistical purposes: LAs are supposed to offer help to young people who aren't able to access suitable education, and the government will be asking for their figures. So far there are no criminal penalties for failing to continue in education anyway, so your child won't be asked to prove anything.

In practical terms, the sticking point is that you can't claim the usual benefits (Child Benefit and Tax Credits) for a young person continuing in full-time education, unless they had been HE at some point before their 16th birthday. (I think the government fears that everyone will jump on the home ed bandwagon and claim to be home educating in order to claim benefits, when they aren't really doing anything, so they use "track record of home ed pre-16" as a test. It seems unfair to me, but that's the rule.)

If finance is an issue for your family, I wonder whether distance learning via a provider such as InterHigh might qualify you for benefits, just as attendance at a bricks-and-mortar college would? I don't know whether it does, so you'd have to check. But you do have to pay for the education in this case, so that might not leave you any better off...

Number42 Thu 06-Apr-17 10:04:58

Thanks for helpful answers - the issue isn't benefits (money not a problem thankfully) just the law, so question duly answered. Distance learning was the next place I was going to go - my big concern is how to find the reputable providers. I'll post on a separate thread on that.

OP’s posts: |
FionaJNicholson Thu 06-Apr-17 11:47:49


My ears are burning, the website Edyourself is mine.

If you google edyourself + leaving age I explain that in 2011 the Government legislated formally to delay the enforcement provisions in the Education and Skills Act 2008 ("commenced at a point to be decided by the Secretary of State") and therefore enforcement and sanctions do NOT form part of the current law, although they are in the original Act.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in