Talk

Advanced search

Home education & school? It there such a thing?

(12 Posts)
MommatoEth Thu 23-Mar-17 12:05:17

My DS will start school in September 2018. I would like to HE him, but would he still be able to attend a school atleast twice a week? He's currently at nursery twice a week plus HE at home. Am I best to just stick to either HE full time or school full time. He loves nursery and enjoys the social side so much.

DancingLedge Thu 23-Mar-17 12:09:38

Rare, but some schools do do this .
Maybe check out the websites of every school which would be geographically possible, and see if they mention it?

mouldycheesefan Thu 23-Mar-17 12:10:34

he won't be legally required to attend school till he is five anyway.
After that it could be very disruptive to be in and out, he will constantly be trying to catch up and will be missing things. For example, my kids have been rehearsing the school play every day for a couple weeks, your child would miss most rehearsals so would only be able to have a very minor part. It's science week this week they have different visitors every day doing exciting science stuff. What if he attends school Monday and Wednesday and the school trip is on Thursday, would he not go? If they start something today and finish it tomorrow, he won't be there to finish it so will have constant unfinished work, that's quite demoralising for kids.
Whether school would agree to it I don't know. It would be an enormous pain for the teachers, they don't have the resources to catch people up who aren't there half the week.

CountryCaterpillar Thu 23-Mar-17 12:17:53

I think you want to do one or the other. If you home ed there is usualky groups you can join so you see friends regularly and have the social side etc easily. The break from the kids side is a little harder.

We were on the fence whether to he or school but my first loved preschool so much we decided to try school and have home ed as a back up and it's worked for her and her sister. There's things I don't like about school and I do miss them and every now and then teter on the brink of homeschooling! I'm a better parent with a break from them though and we've ended up still able to do lots of fun stuff and I have more energy for them after school etc.

Either way is fine!

CountryCaterpillar Thu 23-Mar-17 12:19:15

Remember a year and a half away and he will be a different boy, so much more independent! School or home ed will be great but so hard to base it on how things are now when they're so much younger.

MommatoEth Thu 23-Mar-17 12:21:39

When he starts in September he'll be 5, so will be at the legal age of schooling. I want to HE for sure. I think we will pick with our plans of HE & traveling and ditch the idea of going to school until a later date.

MsGameandWatch Thu 23-Mar-17 12:23:26

You can ask to Flexi School - it's an actual thing, google it. We started out that way with DS but ended up full time HE.

RancidOldHag Thu 23-Mar-17 12:27:43

If the school agrees, then you can have a part time schedule at least until compulsory school age.

You need to talk to the school/s where he might receive a place and gauge their willingness.

Personally, I think 2 days a week would not be a good attendance pattern because they'll miss so much of the iterative learning. It might also be harder to make friends (because unlike nursery where lots of DC are on a part time pattern, in school it's quite rare).

If you are concerned that he is not ready for school, do you think that is down to a cause which which would be remedied by a later start to school? You could defer a Sept 18 place for a Jan 19 start.

MommatoEth Thu 23-Mar-17 12:43:30

He's totally ready for school, he is very forward for his age. Our main concern is being unable to take DS out of school to go travelling. Up to twice a year we go around the world and we travel. This summer we are going to Asia for 3 months. Once DS has started FT school we know that isn't going to be possible. We have spoken about the future and once DS is at secondary school age we won't travel as much but DS has the chance to travel the world and learn so much.

CountryCaterpillar Thu 23-Mar-17 12:48:29

We're considering home ed for year 6 and travelling then. You may well be able.to come to some arrangements with school if you wanted school most of the year and travel in between. Or dereg and rereg if the school has spaces!

BertieBotts Thu 23-Mar-17 12:50:36

I know people who do flexisxhool. It seems small village schools are most likely to accept and deal well with this, most schools find it's too disruptive and doesn't work.

CountryCaterpillar Thu 23-Mar-17 12:51:41

I was thinking small village schools would cope with the travelling 3 months better too as they're often not full.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now