Talk

Advanced search

DD needs some Home Ed support for Biology - could you recommend a textbook or workbook?

(4 Posts)

DD is in Y9 and attends school, but is currently missing (at the school's recommendation) one day a week to attend a 12-week course to help with some mental health issues. This means she's missing 12 consecutive biology lessons.

The school are doing their best to support her, but understandably she's falling behind and starting to struggle. She's asked me if I can give her some extra support to catch up on what she's missing.

Could any of you amazing Home Educators recommend me a textbook, workbook or similar that I could use to help her? We've already discovered BBC Bitesize but I was thinking more of a revision-type book - similar to the GCSE revision guides, but for a Y9.

Thank you SO MUCH in advance for any help you can give. I hope you don't mind me dropping by your part of the site when I'm not a full-time Home Educator!

fuckweasel Mon 06-Mar-17 11:32:01

Have a look at the Key Stage 3 range from CGP. There are study guides, workbooks and answers for the sciences. I have used their GCSE guides in the past and would recommend them. There are also online versions.

AlexanderHamilton Mon 06-Mar-17 12:05:06

Most schools evening they don't operate a 3 year KS4 syllabus are starting science GCSE work in Year 9. Dd started after Christmas.

CGP do both GCSE & Key Stage 3 revision & study guides with workbooks, I would reccomend those. Also AQA publish a revision study guide.

What topics is she studying over this period of time?

That's brilliant, thank you both so much. I'll definitely have a look at CGP.

Thank you again...I knew Mumsnet would have the answer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now