Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know how to do IGCSE Geography as private student?

(4 Posts)
SunsetSky Fri 27-Jan-17 20:53:20

DD is doing IGCSE geography. Have registered as private candidate with a college but they have stated they only host the exams and can't help with anything else.

The specification talks about a geographical enquiry section which involves fieldwork activities. Apparently these build skills such as map reading, handling equipment, taking recordings, interpreting graphs etc and there will be questions relating to this fieldwork in the exam.

It does say that in exceptional circumstances a student can use someone else's data and research but this needs to be agreed between the school and the exam board. I have tried ringing the exam board but only ever get recorded messages and can't get through to an actual person! The school as mentioned are completely unhelpful and simply refer me back to the exam board.

I know that home educated students do IGCSE Geography as I have seen it mentioned on threads but I have no idea how you are supposed to do the fieldwork or find the relevant data to use.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

evenstrangerthings Wed 01-Feb-17 19:44:27

Lots of info here. http://he-exams.wikia.com/wiki/Geography

Cornucopia55 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:27:45

The link posted by evenstrangerthings will tell you all you need to know :-) It's really helpful to network with the home-ed exams support community if you're working towards qualifications. Exam centres/schools and the exam boards aren't set up to give information to private candidates really. To get an overview of the sort of info and support available, go to the homepage of the HE exams wiki , at www.home-education-exams.org.uk . Good luck.

scootinFun Mon 17-Apr-17 15:47:53

I would be interested in finding out the answer to the fieldwork question too smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now