Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

At/In Preposition which is correct ?

(9 Posts)
mom17 Sun 22-Jan-17 07:27:33

I put my bag at the corner of the room or
I put my bag in the corner of the room .

English is not my first language but I guess at is correct but no sure.

Hamsolo Sun 22-Jan-17 07:28:33

In is correct.

Hamsolo Sun 22-Jan-17 07:30:54

www.google.co.uk/amp/learningenglish.voanews.com/amp/3073690.html?client=safari

mom17 Sun 22-Jan-17 07:34:05

but then corner is a "Point" or specific location ?

Hamsolo Sun 22-Jan-17 07:52:18

You're right, it seems to be an exception but it's very definitely in. Most domestic things would be in, maybe in the literal sense of inside. In the house, in the kitchen, in the bath, in the cupboard...

Hamsolo Sun 22-Jan-17 07:53:41

But then "at home". Sorry, English is a pain isn't it.

SaneAsABoxOfFrogs Sun 22-Jan-17 07:55:55

It is definitely 'in the corner', but as pp said I think this is an exception as you'd also say 'I put my bag at the side of the room'. I wonder why this is?

witchmountain Sun 22-Jan-17 08:28:27

I think it's because a corner is kind of containing enough to count as an 'inside' place, like a cupboard, bath, kitchen etc. Whereas the edge of the room is not, so it's at.

A bit like how the article gives transport examples and they are all on rather than in, except for car. Because for all the other modes like bike, plane, train, bus you do step up onto it, whereas you get into a car without stepping up (typically, let's forget about high up four wheel drives and vans etc).

mom17 Sun 22-Jan-17 15:48:45

Thanks everybody, I knew it should be "in" but because of rules my son read he wasn't convinced, now I can convince him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now