Talk

Advanced search

How many/what hours do you home ed (secondary level) per day?

(3 Posts)
OhWellNeverMindEh Tue 17-Jan-17 23:16:57

I'm wondering if I could fit in my part time job that I do 2-4 hours per week?

What's your daily structure, i.e: do you study 9-3?

Thanks.

Tinuviel Wed 18-Jan-17 13:05:14

I work as a tutor and find home ed fine, although DD is now 15 and very independent in her learning. Most of my tutoring is late afternoon/early evening, which makes things easier but I do a couple of sessions during the day and she just gets on with things while I'm out.

I used to work 2 days a week and DH worked compressed hours so he could be home one day and we had someone come in for the other day, who did more practical stuff with them (sewing/craft/cooking) and supervised them while they got on with independent work.

spaghettihoopsagain Wed 18-Jan-17 19:05:13

Yes, I would definitely be able to fit in 2-4 hours per week - that's very doable. We're not at secondary level yet but we have 4 primary age, including a year 6 and our day looks something like this:
8-9 independent work (mental math, conquer maths, exercise etc)
9-11 - English and Maths
11-12 - learning together (poetry, read aloud time)
12:45-1:15 - reading quietly
1:15-2pm - project (usually history or geog)
Then: music lesson, sport or club, playdates etc
As children get older they should become more independent and most secondary age children should be able to work by themselves, taking responsbility for their learning, so, in some ways it can get easier as they get older, obviously depending on the child and their needs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now