Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DD desperate to be home schooled - need advice

(4 Posts)
OhWellNeverMindEh Sun 15-Jan-17 15:10:22

DD absolutely hates secondary, I completely understand why, I can't see it getting any better for a good few years.

Can I ask for a breakdown of how it works?

ommmward Sun 15-Jan-17 16:32:46

How long is a piece of string?!

Some people use an online school like Interhigh or Oxford Home Learning (NB I'm not marketing them - they were just the first names that came to mind)

Some people get tutors in for the bits they can't manage themselves.

Some people do "unschooling" where they step away entirely from top-down adult led learning

Some people do mostly child-led, with a bit of [insert the thing you are most anxious that your child will need but never learn on their own] done in a top down way.

Some people send their child to forest school for a day or two a week.

Depending on where you are, there can be a LOT of opportunities for group trips to places with other home edders, or classes (e.g. art, drama, philosophy, geography, science, latin, spanish, french, music, pottery, coding, riding, swimming... all off the top of my head things that are going on in the city near us). Those tend to have shared costs between the families, so much less pricey than going it alone.

In lots of areas, there are regular weekly meet ups. There are also informal private co-ops, so it's worth being out and about and part of the trips and public events going on, because those of us in private co-ops tend to sidle up to people we meet and click with, and invite them to join with our weekly activity-based meet in a closed group. but you wouldn't hear about the existence of those publicly.

Facebook is the place to get connected and find out what's going on in your area - search for Home Education and then your county or nearest big city/ town, and you should find the groups. They are usually closed groups - you apply to join, and the admins send you a message (look in your "other" folder) so you can tell them you are bona fide interested in home ed, and then they add you to the group.

Tinuviel Sun 15-Jan-17 19:58:57

As ommmward says, so many different approaches! We've always been structured but have had lots of fun along the way. We've moved between resources, depending on what was/wasn't working. We have used so many different things from so many different places - the US have some great stuff out there. Feel free to ask further if you want some specific recommendations!

We work with a couple of other families one day a week and have a great time sharing skills. I'm coming to the end of HE - DS1 and DS2 are both at college; DD is doing 1 day a week at college taking some GCSEs (a new opportunity for HE in this area) and at home the other days.

itsstillgood Mon 16-Jan-17 06:16:38

As everyone said it varies so much person by person.
We work at home (a range of resources sourced from many sources) most mornings and have group activities most afternoons. We do make sure we have one day a week where we are home all day so we can embrace longer projects. Friday's are more relaxed (unless we go out earlier in the week), we finish off anything outstanding from other days, run errands, spend time on self driven projects, go out for the day etc.
But there is no right or wrong to HE it is what works for your family. Best thing is to find out what is available locally. Most groups will happily welcome people along to ask questions and chat before they deregister.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now