Talk

Advanced search

Home Education - Should I use Oxford Home Learning?

(11 Posts)
PassiontoLearn1 Sun 15-Jan-17 12:15:54

We've made the decision to go down the home learning route as the best option but are not sure which company to use? Has anyone had any experience of Oxford Home Learning please? Or can anyone recommend a different company please? Thank you.

Tinuviel Sun 15-Jan-17 19:52:37

I know a couple of families that used Oxford Home Learning for Key Stage 3 but have not continued with them or used them again. I get the impression that the support you get from your 'tutor' is very variable according to subject/area.

We have used a variety of resources and put together our own 'curriculum':
- Galore Park are very good for rigorous textbooks;
- Evan Moor, Pandia Press and Well Trained Mind/Peace Hill Press have some great history/geography/English resources. I particularly liked the Evan Moor History Pockets and WTM First Language Lessons.
- My 3 all learned science with another HE mum who used Galore Park and then IGCSE textbooks.
- More recently we have used schoolmouse resources, which are based on a fiction book but cover history/geography/hands-on stuff as well (cross-curricular). You can get an overview of a 'unit study' for free and the study guides are very reasonable.

itsstillgood Mon 16-Jan-17 06:35:06

Firstly there is no need to use a company at all. There are lots of usually cheaper resources available, it is a case of finding what works.
Our local home ed group has tutorials in Maths, English, Sciences and others. So worth looking at your local options.
I have no personal experience of Oxford Home Learning, but know a few who tried it and were unimpressed.

PassiontoLearn1 Mon 16-Jan-17 09:53:47

Thank you very much for all your information. I will look into the names you have given.

PassiontoLearn1 Mon 16-Jan-17 09:55:02

How do I find my local Home Ed group please? I've sent a request to join Home Ed UK on fb but not had confirmation yet.

Tinuviel Mon 16-Jan-17 13:37:41

I'm not on any Face book HE groups but I think they usually come up if you put home education and the name of your nearest town/city.

If you're planning a structured/semi-structured approach, you may wish to join 'A Little Bit of Structure', which is a closed forum. It's very quiet these days but still some people about to answer questions and loads of posts about resources to read!

itsstillgood Mon 16-Jan-17 19:28:56

Yes search Home Education and your local town on Facebook also worth looking up county too. Lots of local groups message people before approval, and messages can go to your filtered folder so if you don't get a response from a local group try checking 'message requests' and the filtered folder linked. It is an admins nightmare that filtered folder.
Second a little bit of structure, it's quiet but friendly. On Facebook there is structured/semi-structured home ed worldwide.

PassiontoLearn1 Tue 17-Jan-17 10:50:30

Thank you very much I will look into it.

katiehigham Mon 13-Feb-17 21:16:24

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

wickerlampshade Mon 13-Feb-17 21:42:23

10 threads tonight Katie! Amazing coincidence that you share a name with the owner of this company and have just jointed mumsnet to recommend it 10 times. amazing.

no conflict of interest that you'd care to divulge?

PaulaBBB Mon 13-Feb-17 21:44:42

Lol Katie, I take it you have no connection to Katie's classroom 😂😂 very smooth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now