Talk

Advanced search

Letter of Deregistration

(5 Posts)
Besidetheseaside76 Sat 14-Jan-17 09:53:47

I have made the decision to HE. Now I need to inform DS's school. My plan is to e-mail my letter on Monday morning and follow up with a hard copy in the post (I have found a template on the Education Itherwise website). Is this okay? Is that really all I have to do? I don't need to give reasons or talk to school? Any idea how long it will be before LA will contact me? I am feeling a mixture of total relief and sick with nerves. DS said it was the best day of his life yesterday when I told him he didn't need to go back to his current school which reassures me that I am doing the right thing. Also saw GP with DS yesterday. GP was fab with DS and it turns out that he HE'd his DC due to bullying so he was very supportive and encouraging. My parents are also being very supportive and my DDad who has just retired has offered to help in lots of practical ways with DS when he feels ready.

ommmward Sat 14-Jan-17 15:16:23

yes, that's ok

no, you don't have to do anything else

No you don't have to give a reason (think of it like stopping doing swimming lessons or something. "thank you very much, we won't be signing up again for next term" you don't have to explain why - it's just a service on offer that you've decided not to take advantage of, thank you

LA - no idea how long till they'll be in contact. When they do, you can decide what sort of contact to have with them.

-: some people have a meeting with them, to talk about their plans; other people prefer to have all contact in writing (both are totally fine, whatever the LA people say)

-: once the LA get in touch, some people say to the LA "we will have a deschooling and settling in period, and will inform you about our progress and plans in say three months" (recommended!)

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besidetheseaside76 Sat 14-Jan-17 15:56:03

Thank you, that's very helpful and reassuring. I'm feeling less nervous as I realise that I can actually do this! smile

ommmward Sat 14-Jan-17 17:41:13

Of course you can!!

Get yourself onto facebook and join the local home ed groups (look for "home ed" or "home education" with your county, nearest big city, and sometimes even your town). You'll find a mine of real life support, advice and encouragement there.

Saracen Sat 14-Jan-17 20:32:06

How brilliant to have such enthusiastic support from your parents and GP! Enjoy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now