Advanced search

Home Ed with a statement/EHCP

(10 Posts)
FrayedHem Fri 11-Nov-16 15:31:48

It's looking increasingly like we will be opting to Home Ed DS1 (11) from September next year when he would be due to start secondary.

He is currently statemented with transfer to EHCP underway. We've requested an ASD unit but we are very unlikely to get it and have decided against appeal/tribunal.

Is it best to get the statement/plan ceased? I'm really not a fan of our LA and do not really like the idea of having to prove myself to them via Annual Review. But I am mindful it's hard to get EHCP's so I'm not sure if closing that door shut completely is in DS1's best interests.

Does anyone home ed with a statement/plan? How does it work in reality if the wording is geared for school e.g. small group work etc.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

user1471537877 Mon 14-Nov-16 20:42:17

Just a thought, we educate from home due to ASD at Interhigh funded by an EHCP

All the benefits but none of the stressgrin

FrayedHem Tue 15-Nov-16 09:49:42

Thanks so much, I think interhigh or similar is something DS1 would actually engage in. Did you have to fight to get it funded? Does interhigh have to join in Annual Reviews etc?

user1471537877 Tue 15-Nov-16 12:43:46

In our case I put DD there and our LA offered to fund which shocks most people

Inter just provide education our local PRU provide support etc

I know that Bristol now offers Interhigh as part of their local offer and probably do it quite differently

There are so many kids like ours there it feels comfortable and like they have found where they belong

FrayedHem Tue 15-Nov-16 13:38:17

It is really nice to hear an LA behaving as yours has, maybe the others will catch up! The fees probably make it a cheaper option, which may even appeal to my LA. DS1 watched the YouTube video "I just sued the school system" and it has really resonated with him so I think an internet school is going to appeal to him greatly.

Thanks again flowers

FionaJNicholson Sun 20-Nov-16 11:08:57

Hi, when I surveyed parents of children with special needs, most felt that they wanted to keep a statement as insurance, and also that if they gave up a statement rather than have it converted to an EHCP, it would be much harder to get an EHCP from scratch later. (I can't put the link up myself but my websites are called edyourself and EHE-SEN)

A couple of other things, the annual review shouldn't be an inspection of your home education provision, and also if your son has sufficient SEN to warrant an EHCP, then the local authority has a duty to make and maintain a Plan, and shouldn't just ditch it, irrespective of where he is educated.

The choices for an EHCP with home-based education are either parents have made their own arrangements, or the LA agrees home education (basically if school is impossible for whatever reason or vastly expensive) It is only in the latter case that it has a duty to fund, and ... it's rare.

FrayedHem Sun 20-Nov-16 13:48:18

Thank you so much for your helpful and informative reply.

When I mentioned Home Ed, the LA response was not supportive and they seemed a bit horrified when I asked if they ever provided tutors or other types of support. It's reassuring to hear I am not obliged to have them come into my home for annual reviews, which is what was making me lean towards ceasing if we do go down the HE road. The transfer from statement to EHCP has not been a smooth one (due the LA refusing to carry out one of the statutory requirements), so if we are to HE, I really want to have the minimal contact possible, but of course want to ensure DS1 doesn't suffer negatively for it. If our personal circumstances change it may well be the DS1 has to return into the school system so holding on to the EHCP (if we get it!) would be the wisest choice.

I am going to try and see if they will fund interhigh or similar but won't be holding my breath. We can self-fund for a year so I may try again at AR with a year of it under our belts.

Thanks again flowers

Ineedmorepatience Sun 20-Nov-16 17:10:43

Ineedmorepatience Sun 20-Nov-16 17:12:34

I am just about to start the conversion process for Dd3! We are also going to request either a flexi independent provision or a personal budget to provide some theraputic stuff and pay for some tutors.

FrayedHem Sun 20-Nov-16 22:22:01

Good luck Ineed. I'm still hoping we get the specialist unit but it's unlikely. The quote we had for an Independent EP was more than paying interhigh for a year(!) so I'd rather do that. I'm feeling more hopeful the LA may concede to some internet school fees instead, though maybe not on the first try!

I'm mulling over whether to apply for DLA again, as if we do end up HE I would say DS1 is back over the threshold for needing it (he had it from 3-6ish but I didn't reapply as I felt his needs weren't really DLA level). But if I wait until we are HE, I won't have the all important evidence and a school for them to write to. Nothing is straight forward!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now