Talk

Advanced search

Teaching the weathet

(11 Posts)
squirre1 Sat 10-Sep-16 20:46:57

Dd is interested in learning more about the weather. Just wondered if anyone had a book/programme recommendations?

Thanks

MoonlightandMusic Sat 10-Sep-16 22:22:21

I don't but, if you post this in the Weather topic OYBBK or one of the other posters there should be able to help.

ommmward Sun 11-Sep-16 09:22:13

There are a couple of nice usborne books we've had. Usborne beginners "weather" and then for the next stage the usborne first encyclopædia of science is fun too. Really well presented. I read your post and thought "oh I am a failure, we never do anything about weather" but actually we talk about it quite a bit, and at least one of my children knows about the water cycle ☺ there's weather in almost every children's book or TV show, and outside every day, so it's pretty obvious as a potential conversation starter 😁

Moonwatching Sun 11-Sep-16 09:41:08

Haha, I was also about to say Usborne grin. The beginners one is this www.usborne.com/catalogue/catalogue.aspx?id=2040 Click on the quicklinks bit on the page. They usually have some great links to more information, activities, games etc though I haven't used thelse particular ones myself.

If you want to go more in depth, Usborne's 'See Inside Weather and Climate' is also lovely. I'd say that was generally more for 7 year olds plus while the beginners book is probably pitched more at 5-7 years. My 6 year old loves looking at both.

Recently did a project on weather and there were some great resources out there. Will link to more stuff later when I can look things up.

user1471538275 Sun 11-Sep-16 09:45:19

BBC's Wild Weather DVD was good for us. Plus setting up your own weather station - measuring rainfall/temperature/pressure day to day for a month. Find out where your nearest weather station is - can usually see recordings online.

Met office website is excellent.

Moonwatching Sun 11-Sep-16 09:55:41

www.homeschoolshare.com/weather_words_lapbook.php

This is a very handy resource if you are interested in lapbooks.

And below is a link to a bright fun sticker book for younger children (I'd say roughly nursery age to 5 years). Though it can still be good with older children, especially if they enjoy stickers smile.

wordery.com/getting-dressed-sticker-book-weather-and-seasons-felicity-brooks-9781409551751?cTrk=MjE0NTY3NDN8NTdkNTE1ZGMzMTk0OToxOjM6NTdkNTE1YjRjYjRlYzMuOTk0NTkyNjM6YTIxYWEwMjU%3D

Moonwatching Sun 11-Sep-16 10:02:03

www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/weather-for-kids/weather-station

This gives instructions for how to make your own weather station and here's a weather diary template to download and print.

www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/weather-for-kids/experiments/weather-diary

LunaLoveg00d Sun 11-Sep-16 10:03:32

There is lots of information on teh BBC Bitesize website too.

Moonwatching Sun 11-Sep-16 10:08:59

www.bbc.co.uk/education/topics/z8c4jxs/resources/1

We enjoyed watching and discussing some of the clips above. There are lots more in the ks2 section also (under geography).

Moonwatching Sun 11-Sep-16 10:10:47

Oops, I seem to be on a crossposting mission this morning blush

squirre1 Mon 12-Sep-16 05:53:39

Thank you all so much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now