Talk

Advanced search

A question for those HE at KS3 level

(5 Posts)
KarmaNoMore Tue 09-Aug-16 13:08:43

I need some advice from you really. My son is not HE but has dyslexia and has been getting progressively delayed. The school do what they can but, I think I need to support their work from home by providing some structure on his revision time.

If you are HE your children at level 3, how much time do you devote to revision per subject, per week?

And also, if you are covering KS3 Computing, Art and Design and Technology, could you please recommend a good study guide/book/website to use?

Thanks in advance.

FrancineSmith Tue 09-Aug-16 15:19:56

We are doing KS3 English and maths and iGCSE physics. All other subjects are covered informally, but we spend 3-5 hours a week (depending on what else is going on) on physics and 1.5-2.5 each on English and maths.

This isn't revision though, this is formal, guided learning. The rest of our time is spent on informal and independent learning.

I'm not sure if this will help at all, the time spent on HE for a given subject will be different to revising/cementing work done at school.

KarmaNoMore Tue 09-Aug-16 23:22:18

Thank you Francine, the 3-5 hours of physics a week, is this normally 3-5 x 1 hour sessions or do you do it in small chunks?

His school's advises 1.5 hrs of general revision a day. If he manages 15 minutes that's too much. So I was wondering what would be a reasonable amount of time per session to keep him interested/motivated.

Saracen Wed 10-Aug-16 04:59:25

You're comparing apples with oranges. In addition to the distinction between guided learning and revision, there's another huge difference between time spent by home educated kids and those who go to school.

The learning of home educated kids is ALL targeted at their individual needs, meaning they can cover material in a fraction of the time which would be needed if they were at school. The effect of inefficient group teaching at school is firstly exhausting and secondly frustrating. Your son is quite likely both shattered and demoralised from trying to concentrate all day at school and from knowing that he's "behind". At this age, his body clock is shifting so he may be getting up to go to school at a time of day when he really needs more sleep. With all this on his plate, revision at home is the straw that broke the camel's back.

You say that even 15 minutes of revision is now too much for him. That isn't because there's a problem with how you're doing revision. The problem is that school has sucked him dry.

It's situations like these which drive many parents to start home educating. Removing school from the equation lifts that burden off kids, restoring to them a huge amount of time and energy. What's more, their motivation improves when they don't have to sit for hours every day alongside peers who are finding the work easier, and when they aren't getting frequent reminders that their best efforts don't "measure up".

Outside of school, there is flexibility to deal with workloads. Schedules can be adjusted to when children are naturally better able to concentrate (later in the day, say, or after exercising, or in smaller chunks). Nonessential subjects can be dropped or done informally. Except for kids whose sights are set on highly competitive academic uni courses, they probably only need five or six GCSEs at most. Schools insist kids do far more because it affects the school's statistics, but that's often not in the best interests of the individual child. There's no need to do all GCSEs at once; they can be spread over more years to reduce pressure.

If your son is going to stay at school, the home ed model won't help you figure out how to help him there. It is a completely different approach, with different solutions available. Have you posted on the special needs board? Some of people there are tremendously knowledgeable and experienced with navigating the school system.

KarmaNoMore Wed 10-Aug-16 19:31:19

It is not that I want to compare them, I just wanted to have an idea of what is reasonable time to expect a child to work in a subject (10 mins, 15 mins, 2o minutes, half an hour before he needs a break.

And hopefully use the same resources as what the school sends is too sporadic and definitively DS needs more opportunity to practice the skills to stay on track. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now