Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

any good online tutoring services?

(7 Posts)
boatashore Tue 01-Mar-16 11:11:28

DD2 needs help getting ready for A Levels (she's not been at a British school, so no background in GCSEs) so we are looking at online tutoring services. Have found a couple of tutorial services that come highly recommended, but they are London based and may bankrupt us for years (pounds 60 an hour. Ouch)! We live abroad, so don't think we'll be able to find local tutors to help, and it's too late in the year to join Interhigh or the other online schools. All thoughts welcome! She won't work with me, so homeschooling with mum as teacher is definitely out.

notagiraffe Wed 02-Mar-16 10:44:04

What subjects is she studying and through what examination boards?

boatashore Thu 03-Mar-16 08:23:24

She's coming from a pre-IB programme, so not doing GCSEs. Planning to study Eng Lit, History, French -- and possibly Latin or Art for AS Level -- think the exam board is Edexcel.

Right now, the important thing is to plug some of the knowledge gaps (20th century history from a British perspective -- amazing how history teaching changes from country to country!), and build skills (poetry analysis, spoken French) so that she's confident when school starts in September. Older DD did chemistry tutoring via Skype and it worked amazingly well, so I know it is possible.

badoll Sun 03-Apr-16 13:21:24

Hi boatashore, I don't know if you're still looking for Skype tuition but I can recommend an excellent young chap (Cambridge degree in English) who is an inspirational tutor in English Lit and language. He also teaches Greek and Latin, all to A level and beyond. His number is : 07850 528013. He is based in West London but does a lot of Skype teaching. He charges £40 per hour. You can have sight of all qualifications.

MagratGarlikAgain Sun 03-Apr-16 23:54:49

I know a wonderful tutor who covers History online. I don't know how booked up she is though at this time of year. If you PM me, I'll pass on the details, but will not post them on the thread.

roberts01293 Tue 12-Apr-16 10:37:12

I did my educational maths and english exams online. I used a company called Runway Training

www.runwaytraining.co.uk/

cookingmama123 Thu 15-Sep-16 16:47:13

I recently used Spires for my daughter's chemistry A Level tuition. She seemed really happy with her tutor. I think they charged around £22 an hour which was well worth it. Definitely would recommend.

www.spires.co

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now