Talk

Advanced search

Educational apps?

(15 Posts)
TillITookAnArrowToTheKnee Mon 19-Oct-15 20:46:25

I've temporarily pulled eldest DD from school due to bullying by a much older boy (she's Y3, he's Y6) as school have been fecking useless and punishment has no effect on this kid.

I want to try and do some Home Ed over the next fortnight whilst we figure out our next move. Ultimately her mental health is my priority in all this and she's now withdrawn and clingy so don't want anything too strenuous for her; just somethings to keep her ticking over.

ommmward Mon 19-Oct-15 22:31:05

First thing: Have you got all your bases covered legally? Either you need to have got her signed off by the GP with stress, or you need to have deregistered her with an official letter, or you need to have come to some other arrangement with the school that authorises the absence.

After that, I would not bother with trying to replicate school at all, especially if it is a relatively short absence you are planning. She will need time to recover from the bullying anyway. I would take her on some nice trips (whatever she's interests in. Might be local museums or maybe park or a concert or a train ride or something. No need to break the bank). Help her get her confidence and her smile back. If it feels like it might be a long term decision, then get yourself hooked up with local home edders and get asense of the different approaches people take. Hang in there!

BiscuitMillionaire Mon 19-Oct-15 22:35:49

I did 6 months home-ed not through choice, and found this software very good, and free to download. It's for practising maths and literacy, but comes across to the kids like a whizz-bang video game. They do races, and win points and virtual prizes. They can design their own avatar and everything.
www.skoolbo.co.uk/

BiscuitMillionaire Mon 19-Oct-15 22:39:37

Note that it starts with easy questions and depending on what the child gets right and wrong, it sets the level of the questions they get next.

TillITookAnArrowToTheKnee Tue 20-Oct-15 07:57:53

I fired off a lengthy email to the school last night, outlining my concerns about DDs mental state. She's not been sleeping and is very clingy and distressed. But last night she slept through and is still asleep now, will have to wake her soon to get youngest DD to Nursery.

I was wondering whether a trip to the Nurse at the GPs would be a good idea? It's nigh on impossible to get a GPs appointment at the moment, the entire place is staffed by locums. I don't know about the legalities of it but its 3 days till half term, in the email I've requested a meeting with the head, deputy head, pastoral care and both class teachers. Not today as DH can't get time off work, but Thurs/Fri he can, and I'm not going in for another meeting alone. And I won't send DD into school because this boys behaviour has got worse since he was reprimanded by staff for it, which is very worrying.

Thanks for the replies, I'll check out the legalities and take her to do something fun today. She loves the local libraries so I'll likely take her there for an hour, and take her for some lunch after.

TillITookAnArrowToTheKnee Tue 20-Oct-15 08:02:24

*Sorry, should clarify: DD has slept through last night because I told her she was not going to school today.

minimalistaspirati0ns Tue 20-Oct-15 08:04:31

Yes go to the nurse ASAP.

Also if the meeting fails, email the governors and the LEA stating that the school are 'failing in their duty of care' and because they are in 'loco parentis' they should ensure DD is safe at all times. List what's going on and that DD has seen nurse due to the bulling. State you are forced to keep her at home until the school can ensure the bullying has completely ended.

Definitely get the LEA and governors in the loop

minimalistaspirati0ns Tue 20-Oct-15 08:10:33

Actually yes get the GP to see her. Sign off if possible but don't worry if she's not as long as stress is logged. You DONT have to deregister her. Instead contact the LEA. Speak to the LEA's attendance officer or education welfare officer (can't remember the term) linked to your school and inform them of the situation.

minimalistaspirati0ns Tue 20-Oct-15 08:12:15

The LEA education/attendance officer in theory should contact the school to see what steps they are taking to resolve the situation. Outside pressure on the school is a positive thing.

TillITookAnArrowToTheKnee Tue 20-Oct-15 08:46:43

Thank you, again. I have no idea what I'm doing in regards to this! I've had an email from school asking me to pop in today; but I've declined. DSis has had to take younger DD as DD1 is too distressed to go up there sad DD only confided in me last Tuesday but since the boys been reprimanded (last Wednesday and again yesterday) his behaviour has just escalated! Unbelievable. DD finally speaks out and he makes it worse for her angry and the schools solution yesterday afternoon was to take todays break time from him and make him stay inside hmm DD has had every break and lunch time made Hell since term started and their answer is to take one measly break time from him? Not good enough.

Saracen Tue 20-Oct-15 08:53:15

I agree with ommmward. Your daughter has had a rough time. Just help her to be safe and happy right now.

If you feel like that isn't enough and that you need to be doing something unequivocally "educational" with her, then do something of her choice which you are sure she will enjoy. Outings are great if you are able to do that: you could present her with a list of museums, local or farther afield, and see whether anything appeals. Right now, while most schools are still in session, is a good time to beat the crowds. You could also get some sort of science kit or look on the internet for fun science projects. Take your daughter to the library and grab an armful of books to read to her. Don't put any pressure on. If you take her where interesting things are happening, she can have fun and learn while remaining relaxed. If what she's doing looks totally different from school, she can stop worrying about the hard time she had there.

For inspiration, feel free to post here mentioning her interests and/or the area where you live and we can give you some ideas.

minimalistaspirati0ns Tue 20-Oct-15 10:08:52

I would just read, watch some hisortical or nature documentaries and bake together. Get her to do the measuring. If she can manage getting out of the house, go visit a few nice places like museums and cafés (she can work the cash out). I would also put an emphasis on walking in nature to encourage endorphins to make her feel better. Are there any nice autumnal wooded areas you can explore?

TillITookAnArrowToTheKnee Tue 20-Oct-15 10:54:08

Thanks again all. Just a brief reply as we're out and my phone is almost dead!

We're currently in our local tea room having breakfast, and then off for a long walk and a trip to the Library so she can change her books.

She hasn't eaten since lunch yesterday sad But is now scoffing crumpets with jam and chocolate milkshake.

ommmward Tue 20-Oct-15 16:24:32

Have a lovely lovely time. Treat it as a recovery period that will last until (a) she is herself again and (b) The school are genuinely on the case and will make sure she is protected from the bully. If (b) isn't forthcoming, we'll look forward to seeing you around the home ed boards in the coming weeks. It is a fabulous lifestyle <3

TillITookAnArrowToTheKnee Tue 20-Oct-15 17:01:11

The school support worker text me this afternoon, saying shed like me to "pop up for a chat" with her angry Clearly hasn't paid a blind bit of attention to my email where I clearly stated I wanted a meeting with the head/deputy head/support worker/DDs class teacher and his class teacher. I don't want to bloody "pop up for a chat" hmm

DH not impressed. ExDP not impressed. We're just trying to decide what to do next re:school as (b) doesn't appear to be forthcoming at all - they don't seem willing or able to punish this child, will try and arrange a proper meeting before the end of half term. She was such a happy child who loved school before this sad But if they won't protect her then I am more than happy to home educate her!

She's been teary on and off all day, I keep reassuring her that she's not going back any time soon and that we have a Nurse appointment tomorrow. Currently lying on the sofa with a blanket and picking a film.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now