Talk

Advanced search

Home ed in Doncaster

(13 Posts)
NGmumtoDee Mon 17-Aug-15 10:27:45

Hi, I just joined Mumsnet. I am a single mum to an almost 5 year old sassy young lady☺ . We have been home-educating for a year now and we are having fun with it except in the "meeting other home-ed family" department. I am yet to meet any home educating family where we live (Doncaster) or even in surrounding areas. Does anyone know anyone at all please? It is quite lonely doing this alone with no one to talk to (who understands).

Even if you don't live near, it would be wonderful to make new HE friends anywhere☺.

ommmward Mon 17-Aug-15 14:55:02

Are you on facebook?

www.facebook.com/groups/HEDoncasterGroup/

homeeducationdoncaster.co.uk/

<takes a bow>

NGmumtoDee Mon 17-Aug-15 15:55:53

Yes, i have an account on FB (i do nothing there) and i had requested to join the FB group a while ago but have not heard from them. Also did the same with the other website but cannot remember the outcome.

The other website (home ed doncaster) seem to have activities that are either not for my daughter's age (usually older) or in another town not close to us or it already happened in, say, february. It doesn't seem to be updated often (I may be wrong) or there isn't much happening around doncaster . I have visited that site often but yet to see something we could use.

However, thank you for replying.☺

ommmward Mon 17-Aug-15 16:48:33

Attempt the facebook page again. Check your "other" folder on facebook because often the admin of a group like that will message anyone who applies to join it, to make sure they are bona fide. Message the admin of that facebook group, too, to introduce yourself. And try the south yorks group and the north notts group - it's just a matter of getting in touch with people who know people who know who you need to meet to get started. You will find people!! It just takes some work... In our area, the website is completely defunct because everyone has moved across to facebook
oh, is there a yahoo group? Again, our yahoo groups are very quiet now, but occasionally people find us that way. Good luck!

NGmumtoDee Mon 17-Aug-15 17:14:00

Ah. I see what you mean. I did message one group (i am not sure which, as there was a time when i was frantically joining and "unjoining" groups. There wasn't much happening. I have mixed up my info). Will give it another go.

It surely does take work. Is everyone under some rock that I don't know about? Lol. It gets frustrating sometimes though.

Thank you for being so helpful. Which area do you live in? I may also get some info from the website ( i actually don't limit myself to my surrounding areas).

ommmward Mon 17-Aug-15 17:29:44

At least a hundred miles away, I'm afraid smile some people also join the he-uk Facebook group and ask on there.

NGmumtoDee Mon 17-Aug-15 17:49:08

Alright. I just joined HE-UK now. Still looking around. Seems helpful.

Thanks again☺

Nigglenaggle Mon 17-Aug-15 19:43:25

The South Yorkshire group has the title SYHEC so try searching for that. They are very friendly and active and shouldn't be a problem getting in.

Nigglenaggle Mon 17-Aug-15 19:44:45

There is a Yorkshire yahoo group but I don't know how active it is

NGmumtoDee Mon 17-Aug-15 19:56:39

Yes, I found it but ages of children are 8--16 and all activities are for that age, as their website states.

NGmumtoDee Mon 17-Aug-15 19:59:13

I think i joined SYHEC. It has been a while since I used my old email, which I believe I joined with. I will have to send a message to them. Thanks for reminding me.

ommmward Mon 17-Aug-15 19:59:28

If you write to their yahoo group and say you have a five year old and are looking for social opportunities/ activities, you'll surely find parents of an 8 year old with a 5 year old younger sibling who would make you welcome?

The 8+ thing sounds really odd to me!

Nigglenaggle Mon 17-Aug-15 21:29:33

There are definitely at least a couple of groups for littlies - one is from birth. You'll be fine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now