Talk

Advanced search

A-Levels?

(4 Posts)
Treasures Sat 01-Aug-15 23:35:28

My teen would like to know if it is possible to do A-levels from home? If so, how does it work, and what does it cost? Tried googling, got confused.

NewLife4Me Sun 02-Aug-15 18:14:54

Hello, I'm pretty certain they can do A levels at home, it will cost though.
You will need to find your own centre to take the exam though.
Do you know what subjects and which board your teen is likely to need/want.
Sorry can't help much but this may give a bump for others to help.

Saracen Sun 02-Aug-15 19:23:00

Here's a wiki about it, with a link to a busy Yahoo group for people doing exams through home education: he-exams.wikia.com/wiki/A-levels .

I'm not on that group but I think it is mostly people doing IGCSEs. However, there are bound to be some people there who will know about A levels.

One additional cost you may face is this. If you are relying on Tax Credits or other need-based benefits, the child element stops after Y11 unless the young person is in full-time qualifying education. Home education does count, whether or not the young person takes exams. However, it is only recognised if the home education was already underway earlier. I suppose there is some paranoia among the powers that be, surrounding the idea that school-educated young people might latch onto the idea that they could choose to hang around doing nothing while claiming to be home educated and claiming benefits.

It's possible that a distance learning A level programme might qualify as a recognised provider for benefits purposes. I don't know.

Is your son or daughter already home educated?

Treasures Mon 03-Aug-15 15:35:35

Thanks for both answers so far.

She'd like to do English and Media Studies; I don't know which board.
She's just done 2 and a half years at Inter High and done IGCSEs, so yes, already home educated and last week I renewed our tax credits online and said she was staying in full time ed so that shouldn't be a problem (home ed wasn't mentioned on the form)

She'd rather not carry on at Inter High sixth form as she'd prefer to teach herself through A levels.

Distance learning would be ideal depending on cost. As a comparison, Inter High do 2 A levels for £1830 per year, plus £150 deposit and £100 admin fee per exam.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now