Talk

Advanced search

HE but no work to show at annual visit.

(18 Posts)
NickiFury Sun 14-Jun-15 17:29:22

Annual visit and review this week. I usually write a report and attach examples of ds's work and all goes smoothly. This year though it's been different. Ds has ASD, dyspraxia, hyper mobility and sensory processing disorder and simply does not learn that way. Trying to get him to do the work books and handwriting causes massive amounts of stress and it's been far easier since we gave up on it and I let him be more self led. He has a French tutor, a guitar teacher, does judo and football on a semi formal basis, swims, does indoor climbing and attends two - three social groups each week with children of all ages some with autism, most NT. He is thriving. His confidence is through the roof, he has a peer group for the first time in his life (age 12) and is more open to new experiences and attending workshops etc than he ever was when forced to learn formally. We also travel a lot too, this year alone we have been to the Middle East, SE Asia and the US.

My worries are, will they recognise this progress with no formal work to show. I'm just so stressed about the whole thing. Anyone else educate like this? And how do you present it to the LA?

Many thanks smile

LIZS Sun 14-Jun-15 17:42:59

Can you produce a scrapbook of photos etc

NickiFury Sun 14-Jun-15 17:45:00

Yes. Tons of photos smile. We've done so much this year.

Timetoask Sun 14-Jun-15 17:50:43

There are special schools that "specialize" in these areas with heavy OT input. Have you researched?

Mumstheword18 Sun 14-Jun-15 17:52:19

I'm not sure if you are aware that visits are entirely optional?

Not very many HE'r choose to accept a visit and prefer to send either an educational philosophy or at most, an update with either pictures and/or examples of things that have been achieved since the previous correspondence (not sending actual work, more like: DS has been learning maths through conversions of multiple world currencies including XXX etc...for example)

This is entirely acceptable, it sounds like your DS does absolutely loads!!

I am assuming you are in England btw, but I am sure someone will be along soon with a link to guidelines just to put your mind at rest a little smile

NickiFury Sun 14-Jun-15 17:53:01

Yes I have. But I am not asking about schools. I have posted in Home Ed for advice on a Home Ed related issue not advice on how to get him back to school.

NickiFury Sun 14-Jun-15 17:56:14

I do know that they're not compulsory Mums thank you smile. It's just always seemed easier to accept the visit. Also he has a full statement and I have always wanted to maintain that in case at some point he decided to attempt school again. It would be so much easier to say no to them but in the long run could reduce ds's opportunities.

Frenchmustard7 Sun 14-Jun-15 17:57:01

Scrap Book of photos sounds lovely. With bullet points for anything you don't have photos for.

EldonAve Sun 14-Jun-15 18:11:00

I would assume photos and a diary of what you've done, where you have been would suffice

ommmward Sun 14-Jun-15 18:20:29

Is this proposed annual visit mixed up with maintaining the statement? If.not, say no thank you to ongoing inspection, since the la have been happy with the educational provision on previous visits, and they have no duty to monitor the provision on an ongoing basis.

NickiFury Sun 14-Jun-15 18:25:55

It is yes, the Ed Psych is coming along with the LA rep. Usually the two reviews are separate but they've decided to do it together this year, probably because they forgot us entirely last year and I certainly didn't bother chasing to remind them.

NickiFury Sun 14-Jun-15 18:26:29

And to be fair the LA rep has always been lovely on every other visit.

Nigglenaggle Sun 14-Jun-15 19:27:01

At least you'll get it out of the way in one go! What about asking the judo teacher, guitar teacher etc to write you a short summary? They might not mind and it gives you back up from other people.

Nigglenaggle Sun 14-Jun-15 19:28:17

I guess this week is short notice, but if there are problems you could always offer to send them on.

hesterton Sun 14-Jun-15 19:31:57

Can he generate a can - do list, which you could scribe for him?

From start of year to now?

NickiFury Sun 14-Jun-15 19:39:11

That sounds interesting hesterton do you mean the things he feels he has learned and can do this year?

NickiFury Sun 14-Jun-15 19:39:44

The judo instructor offered to let them watch him in a session actually so I could offer them that.

hesterton Sun 14-Jun-15 21:19:43

Yes- against the list for a year ago (which you could write retrospectively )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now