Advanced search

Maths International GCSE from EdExcel

(8 Posts)
Treasures Fri 15-May-15 18:05:53

My DD will be taking this exam next week.
She has a query:
if, for example, she needed 71 to get a C grade, is that 71% over both papers combined, or is it 71 marks out of 100 on each of the two papers?

Anyone know for certain?

I've tried contacting their Student Services who fobbed me off, so I contacted their Maths Specialist who didn't reply at all. Have contacted Maths Specialist again today, who DID reply, but not with an answer. He simply passed my query on to Student Services hmm who can take up to 5 days to reply (too late!) No phone so I can't call them.

noblegiraffe Fri 15-May-15 18:08:29

How it usually works in maths (although I don't teach IGCSE) is that there are individual grade boundaries for each paper, but your final grade is based on the total of the two papers.

So you could get a B on one paper, a D on the other and be awarded a C overall.

ommmward Fri 15-May-15 18:10:00

Can't help. I've got a contact at OCR Maths, but that's neither use nor ornament for you sad

Treasures Fri 15-May-15 18:16:16

Thank you! Wasn't expecting such a fast response (take note Edexcel!)

So, just to make sure I understand correctly, if she needed 71 to pass with a C overall, would it matter if she only got e.g 40 on each paper?

noblegiraffe Fri 15-May-15 18:26:04

No, she would need 142 marks out of 200 across the two papers.

Treasures Fri 15-May-15 18:30:28

Ah, I see. OK, thank you noblegiraffe

caroldecker Fri 15-May-15 19:20:57

Is she doing higher or lower papers? The mark for the lower papers is 71, but C is the highest grade available. For higher papers, the raw mark is 28.


Treasures Fri 15-May-15 22:12:36

caroldecker she's doing foundation papers, so 71 or higher needed for the C as mentioned in my OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now