Advanced search

husband doesn't agree with he

(9 Posts)
helenodellfitchew Thu 05-Feb-15 12:56:44

Hi, has anybody got any new british articles to help me bring up and convince my husband to try he with our son. Ive found old ones and American ones but he's not the most open so need a really newish one and written by a btitish person!! Hope thar makes sence. Any help would be great. My son is due to start primary school in september.

Sunnysideup5883 Thu 05-Feb-15 12:57:38

What elements doesn't he like about HE

jeee Thu 05-Feb-15 13:02:25

Would you be happy for your dh to find articles which convince you school is better than HE? You have to be prepared to listen to his views. Doesn't mean that you'll agree with him, but you do need to realise that you can't simply 'convince' him out of them. You're not wrong - but he's not wrong either.

Hakluyt Thu 05-Feb-15 13:04:08

What are his main objections? I think you need to focus on his particular concerns rather then go hunting for generalised articles.

Velvetbee Thu 05-Feb-15 14:36:06

Would meeting real people make a difference? Could you find a home ed group, local to you and go along for a chat. Maybe their bright, happy, sociable children and relaxed successful teens could show him it might work for you.
What is it exactly that worries him?

morethanpotatoprints Thu 05-Feb-15 14:53:53

I think you should look at his specific worries as well.
List them all and tackle them one at a time.
My dh thought i'd lost my marbles when i first approached him with the idea, and this is how i managed to relay his fears.
Of course in the end, it was all his idea. grin

When you have your list of specifics i'm sure people here could help with articles or literature if you post.

maggi Thu 05-Feb-15 19:01:27

I agree, tackle the specific concerns...
My MIL worried that I couldn't do everything as I already had a busy life working form home and also some volunteering. She also came up with the socializing concerns.
My DH didn't want it to be forever (He secrectly didn't think it was fair someone could 'escape' from school when he'd had to put up with it himself).
The solution in our case was to compromise and give it a trial of a year and see whether it suceeded in changing ds behaviour whilst managing to educate him. Everyone felt listened to and involved.

P.S. We have continued beyond the trial but ds will go to college for A Levels because he wants to do design.

Saracen Thu 05-Feb-15 21:12:03

Agree with everyone else. You need to be prepared to explain why you think HE would benefit your son, and your dh needs to be prepared to explain why he thinks school would be better. Then tackle the issues.

Going along to a home ed group is often a good way to get lots of different views and examples of how it can work. Meeting another HE dad was what began to convince my husband that home ed might be OK after all. The other dad had similar interests and outlook to his own, and he realised home ed wasn't just done by crackpots like his own wife.

helenodellfitchew Sat 07-Feb-15 10:34:35

Thankss everyone. I'll have a search on the Internet. Just really need an opening to start discussion. Husband not the easiest to talk to and I get emotional so always best to have info I can give to start the talking

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now