Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I got the call!

(12 Posts)
Thinking2014 Mon 03-Nov-14 17:25:20

I received a voice mail from the elective home education lady, very brief saying the school had informed them I've withdrawn my daughter & to call back. My question is do I call back or wait for a letter? Thanks :-)

Velvetbee Mon 03-Nov-14 17:54:02

I'd ring, to look co-operative and pro-active. Be bright and breezy 'Yes, that's right, we're de-schooling just now and making some plans for after Christmas' (or whatever).
You don't have to agree to a visit, but do offer something 'Shall I write to you in the new year with an outline of our plans/educational philosophy?'
Show that education is in the forefront of your mind (so they don't think you're keeping said child in a cupboard) even if you know that your idea of what makes 'education' isn't going to be the same as theirs.
This is just my take on it, wiser heads will be along in a minute...

theposterformallyknownas Mon 03-Nov-14 18:02:27

I would call them back. Do you have an idea what the lady is like? We are lucky ours is a H.ed parent herself.

Just tell them the school are correct to inform them, you have deregistered and will be H.ed from now onwards.
Don't make any appointments to see them if you don't want to.
They may ask for something in writing, they did with us. We just supplied a brief philosophy of why and our beliefs etc, they confirmed receipt of this and then we didn't hear from them until a year later for annual review.
This was a brief form not asking for much, then no hear for another year.

Just stick to your principle if you want little involvement with them, but always reply to requests as it could be in your best interest.

Let us know what she says, there are copies of philosophies on here.

Thinking2014 Mon 03-Nov-14 18:22:58

Thanks I've found out that she's actually the exclusions support officer

Guess I'll be calling her tomorrow...eek. ;-)

theposterformallyknownas Mon 03-Nov-14 18:58:52

Thinking.

Brush up on the law, if you need to print a copy to refer to and don't be bullied into accepting everything she tells you, especially if you know it is untrue.
I would just be a bit on my guard as to whether she understands her role and jurisdiction here.

Or she may be very nice, cooperative and supportive. grin

Good luck thanks

Saracen Mon 03-Nov-14 23:51:14

You should respond in some way.

What do you actually prefer? If you would find it easier and more effective to have a phone conversation then do that. If you would rather do everything in writing, ring at a time she is unlikely to answer (outside of normal working hours) and leave her a message asking her to write instead.

Thinking2014 Tue 04-Nov-14 01:05:05

I've decided I'll call her tomorrow, have a brief chat and if she wants anything further I'll request she put it in writing.

Thinking2014 Tue 04-Nov-14 09:38:31

I called her back, turns out the school lost the de reg letter so she needs another copy to officially take DD off the list. It was a brief chat and she said once she has the letter I'll hear from an education consultant in a few weeks.

theposterformallyknownas Tue 04-Nov-14 12:07:43

An education consultant wtf is one of them?
I mean why would you need a consultant?

Thinking2014 Tue 04-Nov-14 14:15:32

She basically said that's just a formality. If I don't require their help I can just say.

theposterformallyknownas Tue 04-Nov-14 15:53:20

Oh, that's positive then, sorry to jump to the defensive but you have more than likely heard what some of these people can be like.
It sounds as though they will be happy to leave you to it which is great news, unless of course you don't mind them being involved.

Saracen Tue 04-Nov-14 21:10:03

I think "Education Consultant" sounds more accurate and positive than "Inspector" or "Home Education Visitor" or "Education Welfare Officer" or the other job titles used by some LAs to describe the role of the person who liaises with HE families!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now