Talk

Advanced search

Homeschooling through an international company?

(4 Posts)
megangroves2 Mon 24-Mar-14 10:28:57

We are looking to homeschool our son, and are deciding whether to go with a company/curriculum based in the UK, or based in the USA? We are in the UK, but several of these USA based companies have quite the reputation and are widely used and recommended. My only worry is that he would then struggle on his GCSE's because he will have been educated through an American programme - is this not the case, and will the company tailor a programme to his needs?
Any help here would be greatly appreciated!!

Martorana Mon 24-Mar-14 10:31:37

I wild have thought that using an American company would give you the worst of all worlds- the constraints of a rigid curriculum but without preparation for UK qualifications.

Tinuviel Tue 25-Mar-14 13:49:39

There are lots of great American resources out there but we've just cherry-picked the ones we like. I know people who've used Sonlight, which seems pretty good but have heard very mixed reviews about ACE and personally wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole.

Singapore maths is apparently excellent and the family I know who used it fitted into top-set secondary significantly ahead at age 11.

SchrodingersFerret Tue 25-Mar-14 13:59:47

Sonlight is good and comprehensive. We hated ACE, in the end for a number of reasons. We used Saxon maths. If I had my time again I'd definitely go for Sonlight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now