Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Er, I seem to be home educating again...

(10 Posts)
ToffeeWhirl Tue 18-Mar-14 17:31:29

DS2 this time. He's eight. Utterly miserable this school year - bored, stressed, feeling ill every day, etc. His teacher has form for making pupils feel like this.

He had a taster day at a new school and loved it, but they don't have a place yet, so we're home educating him for the moment.

He is a very happy boy now he knows he doesn't have to go back.

Am aiming to do what I did with DS1, ie a bit of Maths and English in the morning, then topic work and free play. DS2 is already talking about doing a topic on either pollution or materials. He is a great inventor, so there will be a lot of new Lego creations appearing around the house (he likes making real-world creations, such as a working Lego pen or a small chest of drawers). He will also happily spend all day reading if he finds a good book.

He will also have to come into work with us and help us, which he loves. He stamps all the envelopes, weighs them and divides them into piles for 'Europe' and 'Rest of World' - so we have mathematics and geography covered!

Any useful tips gratefully received!

morethanpotatoprints Wed 19-Mar-14 12:57:27

Toffee.

Yeah, welcome back. I have missed you grin
Remind me how old is ds2, and how is ds1 doing at school?

ToffeeWhirl Wed 19-Mar-14 14:10:47

Hi, morethan smile.

DS2 is 8. He moved into the junior school in September and has been gradually getting more and more unhappy there. He stuck it till half term, then couldn't face going back (lots of tears, which is unlike him). He complained that he had to fill in worksheets all the time, that all the lessons were boring, there were no good books to read in the classroom and they didn't do any Art. And his teacher is notorious for her fierce ways (to be honest, I don't think she likes children at all).

His new school focuses more on creativity and outdoor play, which he will enjoy so much more. At his taster day, the teacher noticed that the books in the children's library were too easy for him and fetched him a more challenging book, which he loved. No wonder he complained that the books in his classroom at school were dull.

However, whilst we wait for a place to come up, I am very happy to home educate him.

DS1 went back to his previous secondary last September (his decision), but couldn't cope again, so he's now back at home whilst we apply for a statement for him. He has three online lessons a week from the LEA, plus homework, so I don't have to plan his work anymore.

I'm glad to see that your DD is still enjoying home education. It's wonderful that she can devote so much time to her music.

Any tips on online Maths websites that aren't too expensive (or even free)? I looked at ConquerMaths, but it's 15.95 per month.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 19-Mar-14 22:25:13

Hi toffee,

Just a quick idea.

Mathletics. There was a H.edder on here who got it pretty reasonable, I'm sure it was £29 for the year.

Also, ask your LEA if he can be put on a schools account as you have some lessons from them. They may help, you never know. grin

morethanpotatoprints Wed 19-Mar-14 22:25:52

I meant they not he.

ToffeeWhirl Thu 20-Mar-14 01:45:46

That's a good idea, morethan, and it's more reasonably priced than other online Maths sites. Worth a try with LEA too.

mary21 Fri 21-Mar-14 17:57:31

can he still get onto mymaths on samlearing using his old school log in. If he left during this academic year you might find he can. If fact I am pretty sure I managed to log my self into my maths. Sometimes you can get sam learning on groupon. used it for ds1,s gcse revision

ToffeeWhirl Sun 23-Mar-14 23:59:41

Might try that too, mary21. Thanks.

morethanpotatoprints Tue 25-Mar-14 14:27:14

Hows it going Toffee? Are you back in the swing of things?

Did you manage to find the resources/website you were after?

ToffeeWhirl Wed 26-Mar-14 14:40:37

Hi, morethan. Yes, I have settled right back into home ed and am loving not having to do the school run grin. DS2 says I'm a much kinder teacher than his former teacher (I should hope so!) and is enjoying our 'lessons'. In the morning, he's doing a couple of pages of a handwriting book, then we study properties of materials with a book and YouTube clips, as well as lots of real-world examples (eg, when he built a mini Lego chair this morning and sat on it and it collapsed we discussed why Lego wasn't a suitable material!).

I have taken out a free trial to EducationCity, which he's really enjoying. This means I can leave him to it whilst I work.

We've just started reading 'Hitler's Pink Rabbit' by Judith Kerr. Lots of history of WWII in that. I was a bit concerned it might be too harrowing, but the reviews say suitable for 8+ and it seems to be covering the ground in a very child-friendly way. I'm afraid we got so bored reading E Nesbit's 'The Enchanted Castle' that we had to find something else to read and that was the next book lined up.

DH is taking him up to the Science Museum in London tomorrow, which he'll love.

How is your DD getting on? Home ed must be a way of life for you both now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now