Talk

Advanced search

Supplementary Home Ed for G&T 9yo

(3 Posts)
DumSpiroSpero Fri 28-Feb-14 14:21:19

Bit of background:

DD is in Year 4 at our local primary and considered G&T in English and borderline in maths.

The school has just been placed in special measures.

As a parent governor I have a 'behind the scenes' perspective and feel the judgment is on the harsh side, but there's definitely some failings and unfortunately many seen to be relevant to Yrs 5 & 6 and the extension of more able pupils.

I'm not in a position to home ed f/t (need to work unfortuntely grin ) and I don't want to change schools - DD is doing 'well enough' but it is clear that I am going to need to provide a fair bit of support at home if she is going to achieve her full potential by Yr6.

So, long story short, can anyone give me some pointers on what kind of things I should be doing with her, websites, books etc. I'm a writer myself so fairly confident I can do it but none too sure where to start!

bochead Sat 01-Mar-14 16:35:54

Take a look at the amblesideonline.org literature curriculum. Excellent classical literature broken down by week/year and best of all most of it can downloaded for free onto your pc/kindle. I am absolutely of the opinion that reading exposure to superb historical literature helps all sorts of things from spelling to vocab without stressing out a child.

There are aligned history topics to expand so you read a piece of literature from a specific time period and then look at the history of that period - really brings it to life, even for my dyslexic ASD kid.

Nothing like curling up with a good book, and for some reason the modern school system just doesn't seem to foster that any more. The fact the books are all old classics makes a change from the modern literature she'll be doing in school.

For maths - take a look at the Plymouth Uni CIMT curriculum online. Lesson plans all provided for each year & NC aligned so you could work a little ahead of what she's doing in class.

DumSpiroSpero Sat 01-Mar-14 16:50:35

That's brilliant - thanks.

The schools maths learning is it's weak spot and her teacher this year is one of the 'maths gurus'.

From what she tells me they seem to do very little else sad .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now