Talk

Advanced search

6 year old Gettign "B" and "D" around the wrong way.

(15 Posts)
Guardianto2 Sat 22-Feb-14 19:01:45

I don't home school, but this seems like it's the best place to ask for help with this, I've tried the "bed" thing but it hasn't helped.
Any tips and advice?

ommmward Sat 22-Feb-14 19:03:57

Relax? smile

As long as they are around plenty of text with b and d the right way round (read to them; DVDs with subtitles on; helping find things in the supermarket; playing online games that involve words), they'll get it sorted when they are ready, without pressure

(you might get a more "teach them this and that and the other" response in "primary education" - many of us are a bit lentil-weaver-y in the HE topc smile )

atomicyoghurt Sat 22-Feb-14 19:05:33

My child had this problem on and off and the teachers advised me to ignore it. They said as long as she is forming the b and d correctly then ignore it and it will sort itself out.

DebbieOfMaddox Sat 22-Feb-14 19:06:24

There are some good ideas here.

And someone's done a whole Pinterest board on it!

IsItMeOr Sat 22-Feb-14 19:07:09

Almost 5yo DS does this too. Good to know that it's nothing to fret about.

Now, how do I get him to form his letters correctly?!

Rummikub Sat 22-Feb-14 19:08:47

Get your dc to do thumbs up with both hands. The left hand is now a 'b', the right a 'd' (my dd used to say 'bed' to remind her). The way the hand shapes mimics the letters.

I hope that makes sense!

RandomMess Sat 22-Feb-14 19:09:43

A bus is bus whether it's upside or on it's end. children spend years learning this concept and then learn to write and we change the rules!!!

Very common issue that they overcome eventually.

Guardianto2 Sat 22-Feb-14 19:19:33

Thanks all

morethanpotatoprints Sat 22-Feb-14 20:09:54

ommmward

Lentil - weaver grin I love you.

Eve Sat 22-Feb-14 20:14:10

My 14 yr old DS got them wrong from the beginning, diagionised as dyslexic in year 5.

Badvoc Sat 22-Feb-14 20:14:46

Very very common at this age.

ommmward Sat 22-Feb-14 21:10:07

Morethan :D

meala Sat 22-Feb-14 21:12:46

When you're writing the letters, they way they are formed use the memory aid drumstick for "d". So it means that you draw a drum shape first and then the stick. Similarly for "b", it's bat and ball meaning draw the straight bat and then draw the ball.

Hope that helps.

meala Sat 22-Feb-14 21:13:50

I meant to add that the memory aids both start with the same letter as the one your'e trying to write so it's easy to remember them.

Guardianto2 Sun 23-Feb-14 08:09:43

"you might get a more "teach them this and that and the other" response in "primary education" - many of us are a bit lentil-weaver-y in the HE topic"

wink I asked here because I prefer that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now