Talk

Advanced search

Do you ever get pressured by ed panels to send your child to school?

(13 Posts)
LetZygonsbeZygons Fri 31-Jan-14 19:13:58

been HE DC for over a year now and shes doing brilliantly. she has SN and suffered a LOT at school, but because we have a bit of a circumstance issue that's not our fault, we are now being told could DC go to school to relieve her of circumstance at home?

soz, cant go into detail but whatevers happening around us is not affecting her learning at all. plus, no school could cope with her many disabilities and problems and she was forever being excluded because of probs.

shes perfectly happy being taught by mumsy and is much calmer than she would be with current cicumtance than if she was in a noisy crowdy envioronment of a school building.

ed panel can see for themselves all the work shes done, shes done more in 1 year than all the other years she was at school!

anyone else get judged or pressured, and if so, what would you say to them?

ommmward Fri 31-Jan-14 19:18:29

"Thank you very much for the offer. We'll bear it in mind, and if we feel that will be a better fit for her than home ed we'll be in touch. Thanks. Goodbye".

Breezy, confident, friendly smile

LetZygonsbeZygons Fri 31-Jan-14 19:20:12

thanks. I actually feel like saying to them 'yes of course, feel free to drag her away from me and then feel free to pick her up from school in 10 mins when shes been suspended cos they cant handle her!!'grin.

bochead Sun 02-Feb-14 16:33:33

^wot you said^

Currently in "discussions" with my LA. if 3 mainstreams haven't worked out for for my SN DS, why on earth do they think a fourth would? It's SO nice not getting "that phonecall", and having to deal with the resultant bed wetting etc school caused.

My issue with home ed is that it's almost impossible to access the NHS therapies DS needs if he isn't in school.

LetZygonsbeZygons Mon 03-Feb-14 18:02:03

Boch that's the only downside, the not being taken seriously as DC has no SENCO now, Im her senco.

and us parents are neurotic and being precious aren't we?

and absolutely what you said too about no successful placements so it was my only choice and yes so releieved to not get THOSE phone calls.

but its so nice to go at a pace that suits DC. this week we're learning about the Egyptians. last week it was Biology, all with a bit of maths/reading/and writing practice.

next week maybe geographt, you know? its just lovely to have a choice of what to do and how and when.

you stick your ground, theres more advantages to HE than not.

LetZygonsbeZygons Mon 03-Feb-14 18:03:18

Oh and don't let the LA bully you, I had that in our last borough, that's why we moved borough, as itas perfectly legal to HE.

I didn't know before I could HE, and im so glad I know now!

FionaJNicholson Tue 04-Feb-14 09:31:03

Hi, if the local authority want your child to go to school they have 2 options, they can either put informal pressure on you - implying eg that social care will be ramped up if child starts or remains home ed - or they can go through the legal process of serving a school attendance order.

The second option is the only way a child can actually be "made" to go to school and in fact even then you can ignore the order or provide evidence to the LA or court, so it still doesn't mean the child has to go to school.

LAs tend to favour the first option.

JustGettingOnWithIt Tue 04-Feb-14 11:23:16

Just to pick up on the SEN/SN element.

I've had to fight very hard for the non educational help ds needed, regardless of what was in part 5 and 6 of his statement, but do remember it's actually illegal to withold it based on 'normally arranging through school' and often tallkng direct to the services he needs, has brought 'assistance' regarding going back to the LA and pushing through
accessing them.

Many LEA's are currently trialing the new EHC plans voluntarily with some parents, that will later replace statements. As far as I can see it may be in h.e. parents with SEN/SN children but no SEN statement, interests to seek one, if the E (education) part of it is going to be Elective h.e.
Neither LEA nor parent theoretically has anything to lose, unlike with a SEN statement.

If it affects you I'd suggest learning about them before September (as I'm willing to bet they wont get round to h.e. parents until they've done all others)

BTW after a few years ds was making progress that they'd insisted was beyond him, I got hit with "He's doing really well, we need to get him back to school quickly" I enjoyed asking if it was because it needed stopping. smile

LetZygonsbeZygons Tue 04-Feb-14 17:24:42

Fiona they KNOW Dc is doing brilliantly with HE and my PWP is brilliantly supportive.

DCs done more work in 1 year than all the years she was at infant and juniors put together.

I have a corner of the room specifically made into a schoolroom mand have spent lots on books and resources, so theyd better not tell me shed be better off in a school when their records show she cannot manage it at all.

LetZygonsbeZygons Tue 04-Feb-14 17:25:33

and I told them shell be HE till shes an adult and they've been fine with that, its prob bloody Gove and his interfering that's changing things.

bochead Thu 06-Feb-14 15:08:25

Any tips you have on naming an online school in part 4 of my son's statement will be much appreciated. He just cannot cope with the sensory overload in mainstream.

LetZygonsbeZygons Thu 06-Feb-14 17:45:53

never heard of online school, and its completely up to you to HE. seriously don't let them pressure you, theyre just covering their backs.

You have all the right in the world.

LetZygonsbeZygons Thu 06-Feb-14 17:46:24

That's what happened to my DC btw, so you can tell them the mumsnet HE'res are doing fine !!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now