Advanced search

Considering HE - advice on dealing with school and LA please

(6 Posts)
CloserLook Thu 10-Oct-13 10:44:32

DS 5 has ASD. He was diagnosed over a year ago at nursery and he ended up going to the mainstream school connected to the nursery. We didn't question this but lately have started to wonder if this was the best decision.

The school have done their best and he has support at the school even while he's still waiting for his statement but since he started Year 1 his behaviour at home has become a lot worse. He's still keen to go to school most of the time but just doesn't seem happy.

I would never have considered HE before but we're also considering moving areas to be near my family and I wouldn't want to put him in a different mainstream school down there. It may be only temporary as there's a special school down in Devon we like the look of but they don't take children until they're 7.

My main worry is the reaction of the school and the complication of moving areas straight after we withdraw him from the school. I don't want it to result in a lot of hassle from the LA.

Any advice would be appreciated.

FionaJNicholson Thu 10-Oct-13 17:04:29

You would start home education by writing to the school and asking them to take your child's name off the roll because you were going to home educate. The school would then write to the local authority.

What I think you are saying is that you would then tell the LA that you were going to be moving out of the area?

Which bit of this do you think would be problematic? Is it that the final statement might be delayed?

CloserLook Thu 10-Oct-13 22:41:36

I think my main worry is having 2 LAs (the one up here and the one down in Devon) chasing me up about his education. That and the school trying to talk me out of it.

I'm not that fussed about the statement getting done up here before we leave. We're going to have over a year to get it sorted down in Devon, maybe longer if we decide to carry on with HE.

curlew Thu 10-Oct-13 22:44:03

Just write to the school and tell them you are deregistering. That 's it - you don't have to do anything else.

curlew Thu 10-Oct-13 22:44:56

But getting a statement is, I believe much harder if you're not at school.

CloserLook Thu 10-Oct-13 22:50:27

Getting his statement up here over the next few months before we move would definitely be ideal. It would leave our options open.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now