Advanced search

HE a child with statement of sn

(8 Posts)
TheHumancatapult Thu 21-Mar-13 18:50:58

There is a strong possibility while i fight LEA at tribunal for school place .That HE may be only option especially as all other schools have turned him down as to complex ( bar one i want but they deferred atm )

so am using weekend to look at my options as if refused he actually has no school place in September as current speech unit cant meet his needs and no longer meets criteria

HE would in reality probably work well for him could structure to his needs ( like forgetting handwriting as writes liek 3 year old but can use computer so much better but schools all inst on trying to write with pencil )though he not need transnational curriculum as such as exams will never be option all focus on independent and hands on learning .

if refused i would actually like to withdraw from unit in now before July since they cant meet needs now seems daft sending him till July and HE till tribunal which can take a good while

Any advice on how and if possible to withdraw a child with a statement from schools

TheHumancatapult Thu 21-Mar-13 18:53:21

i do know he will still get OT and Physio as that not carried out by education it is under health .As he has to miss school to attend appointments and hydro anyway

SDeuchars Thu 21-Mar-13 23:22:37

In England, if it is a mainstream school (even if he is in a special unit in the school), you can withdraw him in the usual manner, regardless of the statement. If it is a special school, you have to ask for permission.

FionaJNicholson Fri 22-Mar-13 07:22:41

It is worth double (triple) checking that he will still get OT and Physio if he is not on a school roll, as I know of cases where this has not been true. Are you in England and is this a specialist unit in a mainstream school? If so, you don't need to ask permission to be "allowed" to home educate a child with a statement of SEN. If you put "deregistration + school" into google you get further information, including from my website Edyourself.

TheHumancatapult Sun 24-Mar-13 08:00:08

hi thank you

yes its a special unit for speech within ms school and am in England

Yes i checked as he sees physio and Ot not in school ( boundary politics )which is main part of reason I am wanting school change

brandy77 Mon 25-Mar-13 23:19:04

hi, i have a statemented son who i withdrew from a special school last november. im in england. I had to be assessed by the Home education services at home with my son and then the authorities agreed that i could home ed and have annual reviews. Its interesting you say about receiving OT as the home ed guy told me that once you are out of the education system you lose all support services. At present im paying privately for a dyslexia assessment as the school never did it, my son also needs a sensory profile done which im guessing i will have to pay for privately as well sad

TheHumancatapult Tue 26-Mar-13 08:09:03

Brandy thinn it ll depends on is it education or health for OT. Ds 3 has been under them since 18 months and think its easier as its for physical issues rather than sensory so not linked into school . It was a battle to get OT program in his statement

But tbh program nothing I can not do at home and do over summer and his physio program I have to do anyway

Ideally it's only while I fight for the ss I want rather than Him ending up dumped somewhere not approiate while I'm fighting ( he already been refused ms , speech unit said he no longer fits their remit as nothing more they can do to improve speech as rest is caused by physical issues that are untreatable since they tend work on children that can be cured that's it

He is not mld candidate everyone agrees as despite physical and speech issues he is within cognitive levels

So ironic he actually does not have a school placd come Srptember if turned down for school I want ( only school that say can meet all his needs ) tbh am expecting tribunal and based on fact all say no that should win

FionaJNicholson Tue 26-Mar-13 18:44:32


There's a new support list you might be interested in

A support group for parents who are home educating their child who has Special Educational Needs, or who are thinking of doing so

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: