Advanced search

Unhappy 13 yr old wants HE in Scotland

(5 Posts)
salemsparklys Wed 20-Mar-13 10:36:29

My 13 yr old DD has never been happy in school and after trying yet another school, she has decided she wants home schooled. I know we have to get "permission" in Scotland, but what happens if they say no?

SDeuchars Wed 20-Mar-13 13:31:24

Permission should be unreasonably withheld.

Which council area are you in?

AMumInScotland Wed 20-Mar-13 13:50:21

So long as they do not already have welfare concerns, and you can give at least an outline of how you plan to make sure she gets a suitable education, then they are not meant to withhold consent.

The actual guidance says(

"If no evidence exists of reasonable grounds to withhold consent, and parents have provided some indication of their educational objectives and proposed resources, consent can be granted immediately."

You may get a council which tries to be awkward and make it sound like they have more power than they really do in law, but you just need to stick to your guns.

Schoolhouse can provide you with advice and guidance, and they have a page which has a checklist of the kinds of things you need to think through and put across to the council in explaining what you are planning

salemsparklys Wed 20-Mar-13 14:32:55

East Lothian council, thanks for the links x

SDeuchars Wed 20-Mar-13 20:28:55

Permission should not be unreasonably withheld.


Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now