Advanced search

LA Dyslexia Assessment for Home-Ed child?

(4 Posts)
jomidmum Fri 08-Feb-13 08:53:02

In our area, it makes no difference if children are home educated or at school, they don't fund any dyslexia assessments for primary aged children sad
Very occasionally some parents have been successfully referred by the GP to an educational psychologist, but only on rare occasions. Might be worth a try though.
We paid and it was worth every penny. Not to get a "label" or diagnosis, but in order to see the strong learning areas DD has, and to get specific advise and strategies for helping her with her really weak areas. It made such a huge difference to her learning and confidence.
All the best.

SDeuchars Fri 08-Feb-13 08:41:02

Can the speech therapist do an official referral?

Startail Fri 08-Feb-13 01:39:59

Getting an educational psychologist out of our LA and anything other than the most useless school reading tests is impossible if you don't HE.

Senior school are better, but primary were about as useful as a chocolate fire guard.

BreadAndJamForFrances Fri 08-Feb-13 01:22:00

Just that really!

My son is 9, he has a Severe Phonological Speech Disorder which is affecting his literacy, his NHS speech therapist asked me to get him assessed by the LA for I thought, they said no as he is home-ed! Speech therapist is not happy.

Is there any way that a home-ed child can be assessed by LA?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: